• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

zj booster?

limegrnxj

NAXJA Forum User
I have tried to search for this and have not come up with a definite answer. What I am looking at is a 96 ZJ booster into my 89 XJ. The problem I am having is that the part numbers off of the ZJ booster is 52008646 and the numbers off of the rod are 19901. The numbers of a 96 XJ booster that will bolt right in are 52008647 and the rod number 19902. As you can see the numbers are only off by one number. They look identical but I don’t have the ZJ booster in my hands to do any measurements or verify that they are identical, so I was wondering if anybody has done this swap and it works, or if I should pass this up and look for a booster from a 96 XJ to swap in.

talk about coincidence. I just got back from the salvage and pulled off a booster and master cylinder off of a '95 ZJ I will go check the part numbers in a min. What measurements were you wanting I can measure it before I put it in the jeep I will be swapping it in tonight. It looks to be a direct bolt in. I picked up the booster and master cylinder for $30.

Also it does have the half inch aluminum spacer that is needed for the swap. I will let you know how it works. DIG IT!

no problem.
Oh and the part numbers on the ZJ stuff I have is 52008646 for booster
and 19901 for the rod. The rod is the straight one that is not offset like the older XJ rods. but I think it still might bolt in I will keep you posted.

http://www.madxj.com/

Look under technical. This article is dead on for parts #'s etc.

I did this swap with a 96 booster/master. I'd say it's one of the best mods I've done.

You WILL need the spacer....

Also try a search on here.....lots of info!

Good Luck

thanks for the reply. the only problem with madxj.com is that he only has part numbers for the xj boosters and none for the zj or wj boosters. i think that buckyxj should email madxj and let him know of the results so he can have this information on his websight also.

well update I am gonna drill out the hole in the rod a little so the spacer that goes through the brake will fit in it. also I am having to move the prop valve cus it is too close to the egr valve.

BUCKYXJ said:
well update I am gonna drill out the hole in the rod a little so the spacer that goes through the brake will fit in it. also I am having to move the prop valve cus it is too close to the egr valve.

are you using the prop valve off of the zj?

Will a ZJ prop valve work if all of the ABS junk is tossed? In other words, did DC ever make a ZJ with rear disc brakes and no ABS?

Robert

well I am not sure now that was the plan but now I am looking at using the XJ prop valve and master cylinder.

I made another thread Lime... I decided to use the ZJ master cylinder and prop valve basically all the ZJ stuff. I will let you know probably be the full swap this weekend.

BUCKYXJ said:
I made another thread Lime... I decided to use the ZJ master cylinder and prop valve basically all the ZJ stuff. I will let you know probably be the full swap this weekend.

cool thanks for the update

I have a 2000 XJ, my brake booster went bad (leaking air) when I was offroading, on the way back I stopped at a workshop in a small town. All part stores were closed that day,(Eid holiday), the mechanic put in a used booster with the same number you have 52008646, when I got home I searched the net, the number was for 1997 ZJ.
It looks like it and working fine.
Just wanted to throw the info so everyone will know.

Back