• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

...I wonder...

XJ Dreamin'

NAXJA Forum User
Well, you all got me. It's official: I'm hooked.

I've had my little '93 2WD XJ for two years and I've been reading Jeep lists and web pages for about two month now and this is what happens. I pull up to the local Subway (sandwiches, that is) and there in the parking lot is a Jeep Grand Wagoneer 4x4 with full two-tone "woody" siding, and what am I looking at? The shape of the rear pumpkin and the big fully floating axle hubs, front and rear. I only saw it from the back. I had our 3yo with me and I didn't want to get caught under it when the owner returned so I didn't get any numbers off the axles or the ring gears :doh: but I'm standing there, in the middle of the parking lot, thinkin', I wonder how much fab would it take to get those axles under my XJ AND I wonder what it would take to get that thing into a pick-yur-part where I could strip it (sorry FSJeepsters).

No need to reply with tech, there's plenty on the web sites, and anyway I'm still in the dreamin' stage. I just wanted to let you know - I am now fully and irrevocably an XJ junkie.

Here's another thought. I suppose it belongs in the mod forum, but as lond as I'm already typing - I met a young (and I do mean young (Yikes!)) college student with - get this - a 5.9l Dodge Dakota R/T!!!! What is that?! She can't possibly (because of her age, of course, not her gender) know the full potential of what she's got. I gotta wonder - will that fit in my XJ? :wow:

XJ Dreamin'
'93 XJ 2WD stock, 4.0l HO, AW4, D-35c on LT235/75R15 A/T's

2wd to 4wd, involves aALOT of frame mods. Your better off working with a 4wd XJ. You say "OUR 3 YR OLD" so I know you gotta have your other half with you. If you don't get in trouble for looking cool, otherwise watch out !! 5.9 dakota R/T is sweet, probably belongs to DADDY !

Just remember this... You can go as far as your wallet will take you. Or as far as SHE'll let you GO !!! :spin1:

Converting a 2WD to a 4WD takes some doing, but it's not impossible. If I were doing it, I'd hunt up another 4x4 XJ of similar year at least for a parts rig. Pretty much a bolt in deal.

The Grand Waggy axles you are lusting over are spring-under Dana 44s... the later models are approx same width as the XJ axles, and are a viable swap-in option. The front is a LP44 though, and IIRC the rear pumpkins on a Quadra Trac FSJ were offset

As for that 5.9 R/T... sure it'll fit ;) Get "everything" at the junkyard. OTOH probably cheeper to build a rompin 4.0 HO that already sits in there

Back