• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

door panels

sullju

NAXJA Forum User
Well I need to make new door panels for my '89. The PO decided the stock 5 1/4's weren;t big enough so he cut the hole out to fit 6 1/2's. Only problem is he used oem speakers from a Pontiac so true 6 1/2's won't fit. Needless to say the stock panels don't cover it and bulges at the bottom. On a side not he also cut out four more speaker holes in the rear hatch for a total fo 6 5 1/4's in the rear, not one of which was aftermarket. Does anyone know where I can find "reinforced" carboard to mount some vinyl on? Sorry for the book I just get fuming every time I look at that.

Justin

I see panels on Ebay all the time. Prolly cheaper/faster than making your own (unless you want custom). BUT, I am curious about where to get some of that specail cardboard myself.
(I payed 40 bucks for all fours door panels)

I haven't done it for an XJ but in my pony car days I used to use 1/8" tempered hardboard, available at Lowe's and Home Depot.

The hardboard won't bend that much. cut the "bent" part off your hacked up original and graft it on there then cover the whole thing with marine carpet or equivalent. Better yet go get one on ebay.

Back