• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gas Tank

SPSERG

NAXJA Forum User
I am going to be replacing my gas tank this weekend. I bought a new one, same 20 gallon size. The replacement has two, 2 inch holes on the top. They are factory, but what are they for?? I have not removed the original yet, so I cant tell if the original has them. It's identical otherwise, what are these holes for???

Vents. OEM tank has 'em. There are two small vapor vent lines that come off the fittings in those holes, join together in a 'T' and then go ... somewhere. Nover bothered to see where the line went from there.

No kidding.. I can put my hand in through the area where the pickup/pump mounts and reach right out through those vent holes. I assume that whatever caps those holes off is pretty secure? Thats a direct access to the fuel inside, looks like trouble to me.

I understand where the fuel pump goes. There are two small (2inch) cutouts on top of the tank. You cant see them when its installed, at least I cant. But... they are there on the new fuel tank

I assume we're talking about the metal tank. As Eagle says, they're vents. When you get the old tank off, you should see where the lines go. I don't have one at hand to look at (not home this week) but as I recall there are rubber grommets that set into the tank, and the vents are teed together.

Back