• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering box brace

tnxjjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone made their own steering box brace? I think I need one or at least I know I will need one when I put on my 33's. I want to get one, I just don't have the $60 for one right now.

Sure have about 4 years ago and still doing fine. You have to be careful that it is not too rigid as it can cause the same problems as not having it at all!
See my how to section part of the index. http://go.jeep-xj.info

There has been discussions regarding this subject and the split seems to be 50/50 for and against.

One one side people have had their frame rack AFTER install the steering box brace. The theory is flex in the unibody at the front will cause the stiffening brace to either push or pull on the steering box effectively trying to rip it off.

The other side disagrees and thinks there isn't enough flex in the front to cause such a thing.

To be safe it would probably be a better idea to re-inforce the current mounting style and distribute the stresses along the driver side frame rail better. If you have the ability to build a steering box brace then fabbing up a flat piece of steel with holes that match the bolt mounting pattern and welding it to the outside of the frame rail at the box shouldn't be a problem. If not I think C-Rok makes these...check their website if you're interested.

Or do both. I run a Rusty's steering box brace AND the C-Rok plate. It'll stiffen it up that way and distribute the load better.

The reason I think I need one now is that whenever I turn there is a popping noise from the front left. I assumed that is what is making the noise. I know I will need a brace when I put on my 33's, so I figured I would go ahead and try putting one on. I just don't want it to rip out of the frame when I am driving down the road.

xj92 said:
Or do both. I run a Rusty's steering box brace AND the C-Rok plate. It'll stiffen it up that way and distribute the load better.

I have done this too. C-Rok outter plate, an inner plate and an unkown (M.O.R.E. I think) cross brace. No problems so far but I have yet to take the rig wheeling and get it flexed up.

C-Rok plate
IMG_0027.sized.jpg

Cross brace
IMG_0039.sized.jpg

Nice pix. What is that little welded tongue above the 2 bolts in the second pic?

I've got the CRok brace, starting to paint it up today to install it in a few weeks. Your brace seems to have more wrap around the bottom part of the frame. Did they rethink the design?

Urban Redneck said:
I've got the CRok brace, starting to paint it up today to install it in a few weeks. Your brace seems to have more wrap around the bottom part of the frame. Did they rethink the design?

No, I did :D I bent and welded a 1/4" steel plate to the bottom to wrap it around and give better support to the frame.

IMG_0023.sized.jpg

Here is my homemade plate.

From the outside:
841466dsc00440.jpg

Another from the outside:
841469dsc00441.jpg

Inside plate with spacers welded on to replace the stock aluminum POS:
841470mvc-834f.jpg

Another of the inside plate:
841473mvc-835f.jpg

Outside plates:
841476mvc-836f.jpg

841478mvc-844f.jpg

Carnage:
841481mvc-831f.jpg

The alum spacer is something I will have to address later. Mine was like new still so i just reused it. I like how you did you inside plate with the spacers, good idea.

I built my own armour around the sterring box (inner, outer and bottom, like Cajuns). The only thing missing is the sleeves that Mark Hinkley had in his kit to keep the unibody from flexing. I will be adding those soon.

And skip the rusty's, you will end up redrilling the holes that don't line up anyway, so just but the $10 of steel and clamps and build your own

SeanP

The best way to reinforce the steering box is to buy the C-Rok kit or the ORGS SBS kit, or make something up yourself. If you do more than casual wheeling, it's possible for the steering brace to cause more problems than it solves. With the frame reinforced, I think it's inconclusive whether or not a brace helps. The frame definitely needs reinforcing, with or without a brace, and with good frame reinforcing the brace shouldn't be needed.

My history, FWIW, is this. I used to have the steering box bolts loosen regularly (with 33's, and everyone should check them frequently if you wheel), and after installing a Rusty's brace the bolts stayed tight much better. BTW, I've always had a couple of steering box bolts go through my 1/4" plate bumper mount. After awhile, I had cracks in the bottom of the frame, so I fixed them and plated it. Then I broke an ear off the steering box, and when I replaced the box I found cracks on the inside and the top of the frame. So, I fixed them and plated the inside of the frame. Then I had a crack on the outside of the frame, underneath the bumper mount, so I welded that up and welded a section of the bumper mount to the frame. Then I hit a rock hard while not paying attention and broke the steering box off the frame, breaking two bolts and one ear off the box (pissed me off, it was a nice Tommy Lee box less than a year old). So, I added to the bumper mount to have all three bolts running through that 1/4" plate, and beefed up the inside plate where it distorted a little when the box ripped off........and I DIDN'T put the steering brace back on.

All of these things happened with the brace on there, which is why I say that beefing up the frame is MUCH more important than adding a brace. IF you want to add a steering box brace, I highly recomend also adding a track bar mount brace. However, I ripped my track bar mount off when I had both a track bar brace and a steering brace. Now I have neither, but my track bar mount and frame are beefed up considerably. If you wheel hard and often, you're going to eventually develop problems, but don't think that adding a brace alone is going to protect you.

Jump This said:
If we are saying 'no' to the brace......then how are we reinforcing the frame.....? any pics???
Rick

Man, haven't you read the rest of this thread? There are a good number of pics.....

Plus both the C-Rok and ORGS systems have been recommended.

Here is another option http://www.jcroffroad.com/mm5/merch...creen=PROD&Category_Code=XJB&Product_Code=UNF

You will also want thishttp://www.jcroffroad.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=J&Screen=PROD&Category_Code=XJMISC&Product_Code=STSPC

Do your own research and read up on the install I think I read somewhere that a bolt hole on the Crusader Uniframe Reinforcement Kit was not properly lined up, could be and older prob Maybe call them to see if it has been resolved.

Back