• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Should I go with the 8.25 or Dana 44?

verrive

NAXJA Forum User
Hey,
Just curious if I could get some suggestions :D Right now I'm running Dana 30 Front and Dana 35 Rear. I've been looking into getting either a 8.25 29 spline or a Dana 40. So far all I can find is one of each each with 3.55 gears. Pries are $200 for the 8.25 and $350 for the Dana 44 and the advantage of the 8.25 is the guy said he could deliver to me and he's not business so no sales tax :p I plan on locking both ends and in the next year probably be running 33's at most. Would the 8.25 be the better choice? As of the moment I'm running 31"s and I think my rear has a LSD or a locker and both axles are open atm.

Thanks,
Kevin

They're both similar strength wise. I went with the 8.25 because of the huge price break since I was moving to 4.10's and I got it with 4.10's. If you have to re-gear either one then not sure which one I'd go with. I like the 44 because of increased ground clearance under the diff and more locker or spool options available though. I haven't been able to find a mini-spool for the 8.25.

For $200 or so difference it is a no brainer. Get the 44. The 44 is a far superior axle to the 8.25. The only advantage an 8.25 has over a 44 is a larger pinion diameter, and people don't tend to have problems with the 44 pinion even on tires much larger than 33's.

I put a lot of money into my old 8.25, and could not get the noise out of the gears (4.56) even with a second set of gears two years later. This is a known problem with the 8.25. It's a better axle than the D35, but if you have your hands on an XJ 44 there is simply no comparison. I'd spend $400 more for the D44, because it will cost you less in the long run.

Nay

Nay said:
I put a lot of money into my old 8.25, and could not get the noise out of the gears (4.56) even with a second set of gears two years later. This is a known problem with the 8.25.Nay

I'm going to agree with Nay here and say that the extra money is better spent on the dana44.

Although, Nay, I have to say that I'm getting tired of reading about this ONE 8.25 that you had that was noisy. I had my 8.25 for 1 1/2 years and I ran 4.56s in it without any problems or noise. You're just going to have to provide more evidence when making this claim all over the web from now on.:kissyou:

Just depends on the price. I sell XJ D44s for $250 and I will sell my 00 8.25 for hopefully $150. I am just waiting till my spot has more XJ D44s ($85 a pop), then I am installing one in my XJ and adding a Detroit and 4.88s, but thats with 35s. With 33s either way is fine, but since you have to swap no matter just get the d44, I guess.

Well, for $450 you could have the 8.25 and a lockright. If you don't really ever plan on doing anything more to it then that is probably the best way to go. If eventually you want to put in an ARB, disc brakes, alloy shafts, go with the 44. in general you'll have more options and things will be cheaper. Plus after spending $1500 you will have a pretty good axle, not just a decent axle. Plenty of people do just fine with 8.25 too, I just wouldn't put a ton of money into it, which I why I got the 9".

fatwreck said:
Although, Nay, I have to say that I'm getting tired of reading about this ONE 8.25 that you had that was noisy. I had my 8.25 for 1 1/2 years and I ran 4.56s in it without any problems or noise. You're just going to have to provide more evidence when making this claim all over the web from now on.:kissyou:

Well, I never kept a notebook on everybody who posted that their 8.25 was noisy :paperwork ...but plenty have said this. Ask the question "does your 8.25 with 4.56 have gear noise?" and see what answer you get (I got a lot of "yep, but I just turn up the stereo" answers).

It is, IMO, a known issue that the D44 does not suffer. And it just bites to put a ton of money into an axle build to have that kind of problem. People ask about strength, but there is more to it in terms of an axle build that will satisfy for the long haul. I think it is relevant to pass on a potential problem when this question is asked since it appears to be unique to the 8.25. But I ain't gonna keep statistics 'cause I don't really care all that much :rattle: .

The 8.25 rocks!!! :hang:

Nay

basalt51 said:
Well, for $450 you could have the 8.25 and a lockright. If you don't really ever plan on doing anything more to it then that is probably the best way to go. If eventually you want to put in an ARB, disc brakes, alloy shafts, go with the 44. in general you'll have more options and things will be cheaper. Plus after spending $1500 you will have a pretty good axle, not just a decent axle. Plenty of people do just fine with 8.25 too, I just wouldn't put a ton of money into it, which I why I got the 9".

Absolutely, you make a good pts. I have my 8.25 29 spline axle with 4.56 gears/no-slip/spare shafts because that is how I bought it and will see how it holds up. I personally would never buy a no-slip for $400 & gears + setup on a 8.25 I have been looking for a built ford 8.8 for a good price. I have a ford 8.8 in my wrangler with 4.88 gears and love that axle. It is plenty stong with disc brakes/31 spline axles & spare parts like shafts etc are easy & cheap to get. There are a lot of exploders :) out there in the wrecking yards. I could of had 1 for $80 from the pick n pull 2 weeks ago, but it was pre-95 so it had drum brakes and I didn't feel like pulling it plus some one got the trac-loc already. Jason, I think you'll be happy with your axle setup for years to come. I like that you did the rev dana 44 up front to instead of settling for the regular dana 44.

Back