• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

News on the Helldorado area-Moab UT

It's nice to see any government group (San Juan County) not be afraid of the greens and respect the rights of recreationists. Thanks for the heads up.

"keeping jeepers from destroying [their] property"....

its a wash.

mother nature does more "damage' to that canyon than motorized traffic every time it rains.

this will be an interesting and important dispute to watch due to the popularity of the trail and the region.

this could set a "standard' couldn't it?

hope it swings our way, but just goes to show how careful we need to be.

Moab has the potential to become "celebritized" and "yuppy-ized" just like many other western towns........

delicate situation.

I wonder if there will be any 'situations' during EJS?

thanks for the update

The Upper Helldo area is included in another School Truset land auction coming up shortly and there is a movement to halt this process of auctioning off State land that has existing recreational value. If this process continues, the potential is that many trails could be purchased by private citizens and the land closed.
There is also a strong movement by the Utah 4WDA, RME and other local groups to raise enough funds to purchase the land and thus preserve it for 4x4 use.........stay tuned.

Thanks for the updates Jeff.
Whats the possibilities of some 4wd organizations buying up some of the land? I'd donate to a land grab fund for United. Or are they going for a entirely different strategy?

Scott Mac. said:
I'd donate to a land grab fund for United.

As would I. It'll take more than a letter writing campaign (not that that's a bad thing) to keep these privileges. Utah is a national treasure and there should be plenty of space for everybody to enjoy their particular outdoor activity - but ownership maybe the only sure way. I already have to pay for legitimate off-roading in the East - wouldn't mind throwing some of those dollars into making sure the West still stays accessible.

Mike in NJ :patriot:

Handlebars said:
BTT. Anybody know what happened with the court ruling or if they opened any of those trails for EJS?

Landowners can't block trail
Date: April 3, 2004

MONTICELLO -- A judge has denied a request for a temporary injunction that would have let a Moab couple block public access to off-road trails on land they own in San Juan County.

That was good news for the Red Rock 4-Wheelers. The group's 38th annual Jeep Safari gets under way today, and more than 60 drivers have registered for a Tuesday guided trail ride on one of the trails, Strike Ravine.

However, 7th District Judge Lyle Anderson did leave open the prospect that the other... (don't have javascript enabled, and running to work..but this was in the SLC tribune..)

Back