• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

extra stress of lift and tires?

MCD

NAXJA Forum User
i am about to get rusty's 4.5 lift and the recomended tore size is 32. my question is how much stress will the tires add with 3.55 gears? i will eventually get gears but its gonna be 450 for them alone and im gonna drop about a thousand on lift and tires. right now i have oversize tires and it seems to turn them well but i still cant peel out. so will the extra stress really mess with me? i will mostly mud my 90 xj but if i do anything else i'll probally go 4Lo. so any tips on how to reduce stress will be apreciated.

thanks

From Page 1

Goatman said:
:rolleyes:

The problem with threads like this is that you have to read between the lines to understand the standards and expectations of the commentator. Fortunately, that's not hard to do.

It's the degree of "working" that is the issue.

it'll have no go go and will wear on your tranny. Most intelligent indivuals will tell you to just regear at the same time. But less intelligent people will say DO IT!! so I recommend you go either way.

At the risk of being one of those "not so smart guys", I have been running 32's on 4.5" lift for about a year now. I'm getting ready to do an axle swap and regear. You will be putting most of the stress on your tranny and transfer case while in overdrive (if you have an auto). On windy days, during rains, or on steep hills, you will have used 3rd gear and keep it out of overdrive. Off-road ... I ran 4 Lo only.

The best motivation to regear is to run the 32's on up on 3.55's. I'm definately ready to get rid of the 3.55's (going to 4.88).

That is the only way I know to "reduce (the) stress" which is your question IIRC.

Les

its not that i am afraid of the "degree of work" i just dont have my own computer to spend hours on.
]
though i did read a third of it. i think that ill keep the 3.55 for now and upgrade to an explorer rear and get 4.10 for the front. i just have 29 inch tires stock suspension so i'll probally keep them till i get the new gears and axle and then go bigger.

MCD said:
its not that i am afraid of the "degree of work" i just dont have my own computer to spend hours on.
]
though i did read a third of it. i think that ill keep the 3.55 for now and upgrade to an explorer rear and get 4.10 for the front. i just have 29 inch tires stock suspension so i'll probally keep them till i get the new gears and axle and then go bigger.

FWIW, I'm going 32s and 4.56s. At highway speeds it only works out to a few hundred more RPM over stock and the benefits off road are great.

Just my spin.

r@m

Back