• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Plugging the axle vent tubes

BrianC

NAXJA Forum User
I am planning on running some trails this summer that have some water crossings. Should I wait until I am going to be on the trails with water to plug the lines or can I plug them now?

Go ahead and plug them now.The seals will have more time to blow out.
Plugging the vent lines is a BAD idea.Extend them higher in the engine compartment and put a small breather on them.
A couple of feet of rubber hose is cheaper than replacing seals.
Wayne

yep, very bad mojo. the axle seals aren't going to take the pressure that will build up inside the carrier, when not vented, and......... they'll pop right out. But if you want the experience of changing axle seals on the trail, go for it :D

SimpleXJ

SimpleXJ said:
yep, very bad mojo. the axle seals aren't going to take the pressure that will build up inside the carrier, when not vented, and......... they'll pop right out. But if you want the experience of changing axle seals on the trail, go for it :D

SimpleXJ

Replace the lines with longer ones, run them up high and put a small fuel filter on the ends :D

Wow! :wow: Thanks for the warning. That would have REALLLLLLY sucked. I will extend those lines.

While you are at it, you might want to extend the vent line off of your transfer case as well. The small rubber hose is pretty cheep and you can stick one of those clear $1 fuel filters on the end of it. I’d put the vents (including the rear axle vent) as high up in the engine bay as you can.

BrianC said:
Wow! :wow: Thanks for the warning. That would have REALLLLLLY sucked. I will extend those lines.

incorrect terminology- it would have blowed!
remember though, even with the axles vented-theres always the possibility that some water can get in-any water is bad water. I always made it a pratice to drain and refill both when going XJ diveing, but it also depends on how long you stay in the water- puddle jumping dosent really mean trouble, but door sill deep slime will find any way possible to get into bad areas.
Same go`s for U-joints. You submerge them, ya gotta grease them soon, or you replace them later....

time to go swimming.

Back