• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Recommendations for Factory Bolt Specs and tools needed for lift kit please

2001XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hello guys,

I ordered a RE6130 with:

4.5 full rear leaf packs
HD adjustable track bar
HD track bar bracket
Dropped Pitman Arm
Lower Adjustable Control Arms

I was wondering if anyone had the factory torque specs for each of the bolts for the components I will be taking off and re-installing with RE's kit. Also, can you recommend ALL tools needed for installing this kit? I don't want to get half way through the install and need some tool I don't have (this always seems to happen on a sunday when you don't have access to the tool you need).

thanks.
2001XJ

One tool people usually look over is a PICKLE FORK

Youll need that for your track bar! :)

Be sure to get a LOT of PB BLaster. Have a torch handy.

And a breaker bar.

I highly recommend soaking your suspension bolts , control arms, and so on, every other night, starting 2 weeks prior to install

Seems like overkill, yeah, but you'll thank me later :p

A small propane or MAPP torch comes in pretty handy. The front and rear eyebolts were put in from the factory with thread locker on them. It’s a lot easier if you heat the bolts up and burn off the thread locker before you try to take them out. Get the longest heavy-duty breaker bar you can find. I ended up using a 3’ piece of steel tube over the end of a ratchet to break my eyebolts loose :shhh:

You may want coils too.

The best thing to have is a 20+ gallon air compressor with a good impact wrench.

With an 01 you really don't need to spray down everything 2 weeks in advanced, I'd say do 2 or 3 times in advanced.

You may want coil compressors too.

Yeah, coil compressors help quite a bit. I'd also recommend a "front end kit". I rented one from the local auto parts store for $6 a day, it has pullers for the pitman arm/arm link ball joint and other steering joints. It's a lot more effective that a pickle fork, and you're a lot less likely to beat the hell out of the ball joints. Make sure you have a 15mm box wrench for the upper control arms. Also search "RE 6130", there are several threads with recommendations. And check here: http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/45lift.html. And yes it always does happen on a Sunday, at 5:30 PM too. :p
Good luck.

Colin

thanks guys, I appreciate all your advice......anyone else?

morgan

3# hand sledge. Helps tons if you don't have a pickle fork for your track bar. Have a good supply of grade 8 nuts, bolts and washers on hand. Or a tool store near by. Get a good supply of great/excellent quality drill bits. I busted 3 of my rear shock bolts and went through 6 drill bits getting them out. Forget easy outs, for a XJ they should be renamed easy breaks. If you bust one in the bolt, it is a totaly bitch to drill through.

Urban Redneck said:
3# hand sledge. Helps tons if you don't have a pickle fork for your track bar. Have a good supply of grade 8 nuts, bolts and washers on hand. Or a tool store near by. Get a good supply of great/excellent quality drill bits. I busted 3 of my rear shock bolts and went through 6 drill bits getting them out. Forget easy outs, for a XJ they should be renamed easy breaks. If you bust one in the bolt, it is a totaly bitch to drill through.
I know what you mean. I broke all four of my rear shock bolts, then when I was drilling the first one out. I decided to use an easy out BIG mistake. It broke right off. I had to take it to a shop to get it removed. I also found that hitting the concreate and throwing a sledge hammer seems to help relieve stress when things dont work. :smsoap: Later.

If you're putting on an RE HD Trackbar rod *and* bracket then don't worry with the tie rod puller for that part.

Just remove the stock trackbar bracket and you're done - not worth cussing at the thing for an hour when the bracket has to come off anyway.

Pitman arm puller will be quite useful though...

thanks guys.....sounds good XJack, I like anything that is more efficient :)....anyOne elsE with recommendations? So far I got the following list of what is good to have on hand:

1. PICKLE FORK
2. PB BLASTER
3. BREAKER BAR
4. SMALL PROPANE/MAPP TORCH
5. FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL (IF BOLT TORQUE SPECS ARE WANTED)
6. 20+ GALLON AIR COMPRESSOR WITH IMPACT WRENCH
7. COIL COMPRESSORS
8. FRONT END KIT (PULLERS FOR PITMAN ARM/ARM LINK BALL JOINT, ETC)
9. 15MM BOX WRENCH
10. #3 HAND SLEDGE/MALLET
11. SEVERAL GRADE #8 BOLT/NUTS/LOCK WASHERS/FLAT WASHERS
12. EXTRA HEAVY DUTY DRILL BITS FOR SHOCK BOLTS

morgan

2001XJ said:
thanks guys.....sounds good XJack, I like anything that is more efficient :)....anyOne elsE with recommendations? So far I got the following list of what is good to have on hand:

1. PICKLE FORK
2. PB BLASTER
3. BREAKER BAR
7. COIL COMPRESSORS
9. 15MM BOX WRENCH

morgan

That's all I can think of, but still be prepared to make a trip or two to the autoparts store, you know how this schtuff goes.

Colin

2001XJ said:

1. PICKLE FORK
2. PB BLASTER
3. BREAKER BAR
7. COIL COMPRESSORS
9. 15MM BOX WRENCH

morgan

Add PB Blaster to #'s 6, 9 & 12. Can't have too much. Get cobalt drill bits if you can. They are more money but worth it.

Back