• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TSL SX Question

XJOFFROAD

NAXJA Forum User
Yes i did a search and found nothing. Im looking at running 36x12.5 TSL SX as my next set u tires. Anyone here running them? If so what size ? Pros and Cons?

Also right now I have d30 front a d44 rear. I already have a ford 9" and in the process of getting a HP44 for the front. Question is how long would the d30 and d44 last ? Jeep will have some DD, maybe 2 times a week to work and back total of 11 miles. :confused:

Thanks guys for the help !

The SX is good for an XJ, stay away from the TSL 36x12.5 because it is 8 ply. You might want to look at the Q78 which is a 10.5 width, 35.5 height.

the SX is a little rough riding for a DD, but to each his own. Keep in mind that the 36SX will weigh about twice what a stock tire will weigh, so if you are in the habit of spinning your tires, expect very little life from your D30.

SeanP

I'm borrowing a set of 36's on 15X10 rims with 3.75 back spacing.

Mines a DD about 30 miles one way. So far I would not recommend them for short trips cause it takes about 2-3 miles to get them warmed up plus they hum quite a bit.

But once they're round they seem to track fine on the road I seem to have a smoother ride over discontinuities on the road.

The real test is this weekend at JV. We'll see how it goes.

Get the SX's or get the IROCKS.

If I was you and you are confortable with 36in SX's for your type of wheelin Id consider the light 39in IROCKs.

The Irock tires are lighter then the SXs (same size comparison),Irocks have 8 ply and the most SX's have 6 ply side walls.

Ive ripped a 10ply 38in TSL Radial, and some 37in good year radial mud tires, and now Im hoping to find a set of used 38in SX to tie me over till I can get the 42in IROCKs that should be available in Q3 or Q4 of 2004. The SX's are a proven tire.

We have some tough rock here in Arizona, an it cuts up tires. My friends with SX's dont get flats but I keep cutting tires.

Id get SX's If I was gonna go 38in or smaller, but Ill give the 42in IROCKs a try over the Biased TSL option. (SX's only go up to 38in)

Oh yea, SX's turn into square tires, so after they start to ware your only gonna be able to do like 50-60MPH.

I had the 35 x15.5 SX's on my old toyota (94 w/ sas) and they worked awsome. They did get flat spots after sitting over night but after a mile or so they rounded back out. When they start to wear out they get loud but I loved the fact that in over a year and a half of AZ rockcrawling I never once took a spare tire with me and I never had any problems. :thumbup:
I say get them and never look back.

I'd say that the Dana 30 is tougher than folks give it credit for... I've put 3 of them through quite alot...

The one in my trail rig (4.56/EZ locker/fresh Spicer 297 size shafts) was One-Ton's old axle, and he wasn't nice to it either. With 31"-33" tires, I have broken exactly zero shafts and joints, but I have killed some unit-hubs. I don't consider myself a rough driver...I'd rather winch out or just turn around, rather than risk damaging the precious equipment...

Ron Stevick wheeled his 94 4.0/AX15 with a D30 (4.56/ Full Detriot/297 Spicer) with 35" and 36" TSL for years. He is mostly a tender driver though...melted his CPS on Tellico Lower 2, but the D30 hung in there for it. I think he admitted to breaking one UJ/shaft, but other than that it served him well enough.

Big & heavy tires will accelerate wear on the hubs & ball joints. Sticky tires & rocks I can't relate to, but slimy tires & rocks put everything at peril.

For a serious trailrig, I would rather throw $$$$ into a HP44 or 60 than a 30...but for short money, the disposable 30 is an option.

As an update I ran Clawhammer (one of the easier trails at JV) this weekend. Se started the trail in light drizzle. The TSL/SX 36/12.5X15 on 15X10 rims did'nt work as well as my old MTRs. Did'nt seem to grab the rocks well esp when sidewalling them and they seem to dig down on the gravel.

The tire pressure was 8 at the beginning of the trail and the seel rims allowed air to piss out at times.

I had high hopes for these tires but I could not recommend them over MTRs for the kind of driving I do.

woody said:
I'd say that the Dana 30 is tougher than folks give it credit for... I've put 3 of them through quite alot...

Anybody else notice the contradiction here :conceited ???

Nay

Back