• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

91 XJ steering problems??

red91

NAXJA Forum User
Guys,

In the process of turning around corners last night, I noticed that there seems to be high and low spots, kinda like its lurching. you know ( hard to turn, easy to turn, back to hard ) No rhyme or reason it just started it. But I did have the problem initially about 4 months ago. Now its back. Fluid level is good, no apparent leaks.

What should I look for ?? Greased all of the zirk fittings when I did the oil pan gasket and oil change.... :(

I'm at a loss on this one, but thinking its time to replace the gear. Seems strange for only 96k, but dumber things have happened.

Have plenty of access to parts, where to start...

scott

Speed_racer said:
Just because your TCASE SHIFTER says its in 2 wheel drive, does NOT mean that it is.

I would check and see, I'm almost willing to bet you're locked in somehow.

Happened to me before..

damn.... that sucks... I will go up the street and play with it a bit...will let you know in about 30 min.

WELL...Just got back. Went to 4L and felt it pull hard... nothing in N (good) 4H seemed to be ok. 2wd till kinda the same. Went around corner and the wheel didn't want to come to center. Still lurching, but not as bad.

don't get it...

Speed_racer said:
How are you tie rod ends and drag link? Bent? loose?

LOOK GOOD. End on pitman arm feels tight too.

arrrggghhhh....

gonna put it on our company lift in an hour or so. see if it IS in 4wd...:(

SPEED RACER...

Just put it on the rack. 2wd is 2wd and 4 works high and low. Nuetral is nuetral.
However... it doesn't happen when I turn right but when I turn left I hear a ffssssttt...
like air. have not had the system apart or open.

Any ideas...

SCOTT FISCHER said:
SPEED RACER...

Just put it on the rack. 2wd is 2wd and 4 works high and low. Nuetral is nuetral.
However... it doesn't happen when I turn right but when I turn left I hear a ffssssttt...

Any ideas...
Check your steering box, and power steering pump.

OK, how about these diagnostic suggestions:

1. Jack up front end, and put on stands
2. Put XC in 4wd,and leave trans in Park. Have a helper rotate the front wheels while you turn steering wheel from lock to lock. See if helper reports any "funny feelings" back thru rotating wheel
3. Raise rear end of vehcile up also, and place on stands
4. Leave XC in 4wd and in park
5. Start engine, put in drive (do not use gas pedal, let engine idle)
6. Repeat turning wheel from lock to lock, and feel again for "funny sensations.

I wonder if you have a bent wheel, or bent axle shaft, etc.....

SCOTT FISCHER said:
SPEED RACER...

Any ideas...

I have this exact same problem in my 95 cherokee. Its been doing it for a couple months and at first i thought it was the mud tires. It still did it when i switched the stock ones back on. Im pretty sure its the power steering pump because i know that is going bad. Just seems funny that it would make that noise just will moving the wheel to the left of center while driving. Hopefully its just the pump and not a hub or something.

I just got back from AZ and was doing some hard core stuff up in Florence. Started noticing the same problem, it dose feel like it's in 4WD when turning on street surface but not a strong pull. I would like to know what I did too.

Did you ever figure out what the problems was? I am having the same thing happen. I went for a drive in 4WD a few days ago and now it feels like it is half way in 4WD when I turn. Like it is binding or something. The steering wheel pulls or jerks the opposite way I turn in pulsating way. I am afraid that I messed up the transfer case.

I had a weird problem on my 98 XJ (91K miles) with my steering and I had a friend look at it that repairs Jeep's and he replaced both my front end U-Joints, one was actually bad and once I got the Jeep back it has been smooth turning once again ...

Not sure if this is your problem but just a little bit of info ...

After all I have checked on my XJ and all the reading I've done in the FSM I also think it is the PS. I just wish I had one of those pressure test tools to check the pressure on the PS. I think that would give me a better idea what is going on.

I've only noticed this problem with my steering in the last few days. The only thing I did was tighten up the belt because it was squeeling when we would turn on the AC. I think it was too tight and maybe damaged the PS.

Is it possible to damage the PS with the belt too tight? I don't see any leaks and the fluid level is right where it should be.

Back