• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which speedo gear, yeah I've seen the chart, tooth question

SyCo

NAXJA Forum User
I'm running 30" MT/Rs on my 98 4.0 5 speed. I checked my speed with GPS, and it is off by approx 2MPH, but my dash speedo reads HIGHER than the GPS! So if the GPS says 45MPH, my dash speedo reads 47MPH. I've checked out the charts and everywhere I've read it says the dash speedo should be slower than actual speed when going to larger tires, but it seems this is not the case for me.

I haven't pulled the speedo gear yet to check the tooth count, but I was wondering if I needed to go with a higher or lower tooth count to compensate for the inaccurate faster-than-actual-speed speedometer.

Thanks.

SyCo said:
I'm running 30" MT/Rs on my 98 4.0 5 speed. I checked my speed with GPS, and it is off by approx 2MPH, but my dash speedo reads HIGHER than the GPS! So if the GPS says 45MPH, my dash speedo reads 47MPH. I've checked out the charts and everywhere I've read it says the dash speedo should be slower than actual speed when going to larger tires, but it seems this is not the case for me.

I haven't pulled the speedo gear yet to check the tooth count, but I was wondering if I needed to go with a higher or lower tooth count to compensate for the inaccurate faster-than-actual-speed speedometer.

Thanks.

More teeth

Back