• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2" Budget Boost

cjgasper

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 98XJ. I'm planning on running 31x10.5 BFG AT's. I've heard that it is possible to run these tires on 2" of lift. I'm wondering how much the bumpstops need to be exteneded to accomodate these tires on this small of a lift. Also, would I need to worry about brake line extensions or longer shocks?

I'm planning on betting Rusty's 2" budget boost. It consits of poly spacers in fornt and a full length add a leaf in the rear.

Rusty's 3" AAL kit is not much more money and would suit 31's alot better. With a 2" lift you should expect rubbing offroad, and possibly some contact with the lower control arms at full steering wheel lock. I would go with 30's or step up at least an inch of lift if you're set on 31's.

I've talked to a lot of people and have been offroading in other people's jeeps and don't plan on doing anything that would require more than 31's. I want to get the largest tire on the smallest lift and don't care about a little rubbing. Thanks for the reply.

yes, more bumpstop - extra inch in front, mebe 1 1/2 or 2 in back

no, longer shocks/brake lines not essential for 2" lift but it's a good idea along with freeing up those LCA's

here is some "light" reading, covers all of this and more, see hints and help #2
http://members.aol.com/Stvns/

I have the rubicon express 2" budget boost on my 99 sport. It has longer shocks with it as well as a rear brake line extension. I don't recommend doing a 2" lift without replacing the shocks. I say this because I didn't replace the rears on mine at first and every big bump I hit the shocks would extend to their limits and a big bang would follow. On the other hand...I am running 31"x10.5 tires on jeep gambler wheels and I have had absolutely no rubbing on the control arms, and hardly any rubbing at all (only one time) while wheeling it. And I disconnected both sway bars as well.

Twisted Copper said:
With a 2" lift you should expect ... possibly some contact with the lower control arms at full steering wheel lock.

That's going to happen if you run 31s on stock rims regardless of lift. A 6" lift wouldn't help this any better than a budget boost.

You can do the steering stop mod. Do a search, it is talked about here, enough. I just did a 2" BB and went with 30's. I didn't want to deal with rubbing during flex. Plus, with 30's I know I can't do the big stuff which means I will break less things. RE has extended bump stops for the front that are like thick hockey pucks to go on the spring buckets and Daystar has extended bump stops that replace the ones out back.

Back