• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock ratio ??

Boatwrench

NAXJA Forum User
1984 XJ w/ 2.5L engine, don't know the trans the owner didn't state in the ad, what would be the stock ratios for a manual and an automatic? Thanks.
Tom

Trouble is a manual could have been a 4-speed or a 5-speed, and back then I think AMC had different ratios for tow packages.

Without a lot of other info, I'd say the ratio could be 4.10, 3.73, 3.54 or even 3.31. Doesn't narrow it down much, does it.

Eagle said:
Trouble is a manual could have been a 4-speed or a 5-speed, and back then I think AMC had different ratios for tow packages.

Without a lot of other info, I'd say the ratio could be 4.10, 3.73, 3.54 or even 3.31. Doesn't narrow it down much, does it.
Lift the rear end and put it in N and rotate the shaft and count tire revolutions :D

Boatwrench said:
Thanks Eagle, that's what I was afraid of especially the 3.31.
Actually the 84 sales literature I have list 3.31 as standard and 3.73 as optional and towing. But the only ratio I have seen on the 84's I have looked at have all been 3.73! Check the tag on the diff. If that is not there then it will be stamped on teh ring gear.

Back