• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 gears

90whitexj

NAXJA Forum User
I have a quick question, are the gears in my 90' Xj sport D35 (stock gears) the same ratio as a D44 out of an 87 cherokee lerado?

90whitexj said:
I have a quick question, are the gears in my 90' Xj sport D35 (stock gears) the same ratio as a D44 out of an 87 cherokee lerado?

Possibly. You will have to check the ratio tags attached to each axle. There was a lot of variety, however, hopefully both will be 3.55, which seems to be the most common ratio I have seen.

Then it would sure be an easy swap...

Other hints would be if you have the same engine / tranny combination that will increase the odds they are the same ratio.

Remember that the snout of the D44 is about an inch longer than the D35 so your driveshaft can end up being a bit too long.

I agree with Old Man, I just did the swap, I got pics and can answer any questions you have along way just PM me. It is worth it just to grab the shaft while your at it, I got the shaft for an extra 10 bucks, just heckled the guy saying that not many people needs extra shafts... blah blah trail spare.

The 35 shaft ended up being too long see this pic.
http://www.clarkson.edu/~majosr/yoke.JPG

I just swapped in a D44 in place of my 35. I have about 6.5" of lift. The only thing that the extra length on the pinion bore did was push my slip yoke back into the transfer case. I don't have a SYE & my t-case is dropped one inch.

No vibes, all is well (at least in my case).

Back