• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Winch Care

ClassicXJ

NAXJA Member #1276
A few weeks ago I installed a Warn M8000 on my XJ and Sunday was the really first time I got to use it. I have been doing alot of research on winching techinques and safety practices but can't seem to find much info on Winch Maintenance.

I know I should be pulling out the cable all the way and wiping it down but should I be lubeing the cable with anything?

I found a spot in my cable where it kinda got crushed... looks like a flat spot. What causes this and an I okay to still winch with it.

I know these are kinda newbie questions but I am still new at winching and try to learn.

Unfortunately your winch cable will get crushed anytime you do a pull on any angle besides straight ahead. Read up on what is considered "acceptable" squishage on a wire rope. It is not uncommon to replace your wire rope every couple years if it sees quite a bit of use. You may wish to factor that in when doing a cost comparison with the syn rope.

The best thing you can do is re-wind your winch cable properly after every use.. this entails unwinding it and respooling it under a light load. I usually spray some WD-40 or similar onto it as I spool it in to ensure all layers are lubed slightly. Avoid side pulls if possible...I generally use a snatch block to a tree if I need to do a side pull, this way I can line up the snatch block directly in front of the jeep and use the pulley to re-direct the winch cable to the side.

Last edited:
Back