• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

where do you guys mount your cb antennas?

xjennyj

NAXJA Forum User
Where did everyone mount their cb antennas? Replies with pics would be the most helpful!! :cool:

Off my cage currently - but this is probably more useable for you - I built a tower that came off the gas can swing out to hold the antenna...

Matt

PS - Ignore the busted window - I rolled the heep earlier that night the picture was taken :rof:

exo_roll1.jpg

I had a little 4’ whip antenna, but all it did was piss me off. I replaced it with an 8’6” fiberglass antenna on my factory external spare tire carrier. Then I zip stripped a little loop on the antenna and a small hook on the front rail of the roof rack. I keep it pinned down when I’m in town, makes it a lot easier to get through drive throughs that way. As soon as I get to the trails I unhook it and let it extend up the full way. It has plenty of range and I haven’t had any problems with it yet.

Wiley Coyote said:
I had a little 4’ whip antenna, but all it did was piss me off. I replaced it with an 8’6” fiberglass antenna on my factory external spare tire carrier. Then I zip stripped a little loop on the antenna and a small hook on the front rail of the roof rack. I keep it pinned down when I’m in town, makes it a lot easier to get through drive throughs that way. As soon as I get to the trails I unhook it and let it extend up the full way. It has plenty of range and I haven’t had any problems with it yet.

I used to run one of those on a non-Jeep vehicle. Got busted in low hanging branches while on the trail. Didn't snap it off, bending it would expose the "core" at the break point. Amazingly it still worked fairly well.

r@m

2 things.
If you are gonna do it...then DO IT, right thru the rear fender baby..

antmount.JPG

And avoid the 102" whips....many clubs now forbid them on trail, they are a danger to spotters. I ran one for many years and finally relented and went to a 4' instead, much safer.

Rev

Urban Redneck said:
Put mine on the rear above the lamp assembly. Picture is on my site: http://home.comcast.net/~eismann It is a Firestik with the Firestik stainless steel adjustable door mount.
LOL.... I can tell you first hand that it's a bad idea to have it there. I kept meaning to move mine for about a year now... and well a well placed rock and a tree have forced the issue by braking off the antenna mount and bending it into the hatch thus bending the outside lip of the hatch.....

I did mine just like Urban and Handlebars. Works wel but I run a bungie cord at the top to keep it tucked in to the body a bit more and it keeps it from flying around. I just mounted mine with two of the sheetmetal screws but trees pulling on the antenna have loosed them up, os I'm going to go back and run two bolts to hold it down then use two sheetmetal screws to ground it. Look at the brackets they used and you should see what I mean. And it's a 4 something firestick.

Kejtar said:
LOL.... I can tell you first hand that it's a bad idea to have it there. I kept meaning to move mine for about a year now... and well a well placed rock and a tree have forced the issue by braking off the antenna mount and bending it into the hatch thus bending the outside lip of the hatch.....

Yeah, once I got it mounted and then really thought about it, I figured I should move it. Can't justify moving it, yet. Just spent the $$ to put it there!

Urban Redneck said:
Yeah, once I got it mounted and then really thought about it, I figured I should move it. Can't justify moving it, yet. Just spent the $$ to put it there!

Little motivation for you. The side panel is one thing... but then the cb mount ended up being ripped of and bending into the light and hatch and messing up the hatch lip and finidhing of the top of hte light.

Kejtar said:
Little motivation for you. The side panel is one thing... but then the cb mount ended up being ripped of and bending into the light and hatch and messing up the hatch lip and finidhing of the top of hte light.

Link no work, but I get the idea. Where did you end up remounting?

Urban Redneck said:
Link no work, but I get the idea. Where did you end up remounting?

I haven't done it yet as it just happened Sunday. In any case, I'm thinking about placing it on the bumper (of the side of it so that it would clear the hatch) For best reception you'd want it someplace in the center of your roof but that would prohibit me from getting into the garage

Kejtar said:
I haven't done it yet as it just happened Sunday. In any case, I'm thinking about placing it on the bumper (of the side of it so that it would clear the hatch) For best reception you'd want it someplace in the center of your roof but that would prohibit me from getting into the garage

I have the same problem. Mounting it on the bumper doesn't put enough of it above the roof line.

I have a short FireStik mounted on the driver's side front fender. The mount goes through the hood channel.

Handlebars said:
standard.jpg

Don't mount the antenna without a spring.

Nice slick mount. I wonder if that would work on my 91'?

Back