• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC Freon R12 capacity?

David Oates

NAXJA Forum User
The Air Conditioning quit on my '87 XJ, 4.0L. This happened before, about 5 years ago. The service dept. said they they had to put in 3 pounds of Freon. This time I'm driving to a buddy's house in Arizona and he is going to have the Freon waiting for me. I'd rather recharge this time as opposed to converting the system to the new stuff. What I need to know is, how much Freon R12 will I need if the entire system is empty?

I just recharged my 90 earlier today and the tag under the hood says 2.38 pounds. Mine wasnt completely empty so it only too 2 cans tho. HTH

Mike

My 88 XJ takes 32 oz of R-12. I had it to this one shop and I only had 16 ounces in it, the guy could not do math and put in a total of 36 oz or 4 oz more. I figured it would leak out so not a problem. I think your 87 should also take 32 oz not the 48 oz you buddy put in it. My local AC/radiator parts store will tell the the OEM charge for any vehicle.

I would recommend you take your XJ to a shop and have them pull out the R-12 your currently have and then do the 15 min vacuum to confirm system's condition. They also should go over the system with a sniffer to find leaks or they will inject dye and look for leaks with a black light or visual light.

If nothing else pulling a vacuum on the system will get out any moisture and may make your next recharge work better and last longer.

At $40/lb for R-12 you can pay for labor to get it solved.

I had a couple of leaks in my system but they were considered so small that they did not have to be repaired. I have one of theose small leaks in my evaporator and hoping it does not fail after the horror stories I have heard what it takes to change the heater core.

Thanks guys. BTW it was my local Jeep dealer that said it took 3lbs. I'm going to check with my local AC shop, look for a tag under the hood and check the current price of R12. But now I know I will need less than I thought. Also, I do intend to have the work done by the professionals. I do want the entire service. I was going to take it to a shop in Tucson while I was there. My buddy was going to bring some R12 from Mexico because he said it was cheaper there. I will have him check the price. Maybe I'll just have it done here before I drive down there.

Why not do the swap? 30 clams at Walmart or any other cheap parts store. If it leaks down again it'll cost you about 5-10 bucks to fill'er up again + you can use some leak stop stuff that may help.

Never mind I found it 30-35 low side and 160-235 high side! BTW FSM says 91 XJ takes 38oz(Same for MJ too)

how much do you think the shop would cost to take it there? Right now my A/C only blows warm air. What do you think I'm looking at price wise?

92XJ 4.0 HO

What I recall the 87 and 88 XJ took 2 lbs, the 89 took something closer to 3 lbs. You know how Car companies can change things. I am not surpised the 91 took a different amount.

Back