• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need torque spec for 2.5

Dobbs

NAXJA Forum User
Dose any body have the torque for the rod bolts on a 85 2.5 xj just re-ring mine and my Chilton book dose have it.I have read that thing from cover to cover have toqure spec for every thing but rods.I was skocked when I tore this thing down at 217.000 I have rebuilt 100s of motors first 2.5 AMC bearing looked like new. rings lost there tention and had about 80th gap new rings have 18 to 26 th gap this thing still had the steel head gasket. not to many Chevy or Fords can say that:)

Haynes doesn't break out the different years but lists the connecting rods at 33 ft.lbs. and the main bearing caps at 80 ft. lbs. Think I have the specs from the FSm somewhere here on the puter. If they're different I'll let you know.

Haynes doesn't break out the different years but lists the connecting rods at 33 ft.lbs. and the main bearing caps at 80 ft. lbs. Think I have the specs from the FSm somewhere here on the puter. If they're different I'll let you know.

FSM lists it the same except they give a 40-70-80 step on the main bearing.

I have no idea how i double posted here, sorry.

Thanks for the info that will help. One other thing my 85 XJ 2.5 5speed came with 205/75R/15 some one put 225/75R/15 I have a 77 Ford pickup I am selling it has 2 new 235/75R/15 ruff treads I was thinking of useing. How much will the diff in tire sizes lug the motor.I see the later models have bigger tires but have more HP too.I know bigger tires make one ride better.most is hwy driving some off road.

Dobbs said:
Thanks for the info that will help. One other thing my 85 XJ 2.5 5speed came with 205/75R/15 some one put 225/75R/15 I have a 77 Ford pickup I am selling it has 2 new 235/75R/15 ruff treads I was thinking of useing. How much will the diff in tire sizes lug the motor.I see the later models have bigger tires but have more HP too.I know bigger tires make one ride better.most is hwy driving some off road.

Just went through this on another thread. The difference is 1.37%

Back