• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire Fitment on 2001 Cherokee

trjosu

NAXJA Forum User
Does anybody know what the maximum tire size on a 2001 Jeep Cherokee stock is? I've looked at several charts with conflicting answers. One said a 31x10.5 that seemed high and one said a 30x9.5 that seemed more reasonable but I wanted to be sure.

If you are going to wheel it, I would say 29" (I think you have metric size, so maybe a 235/70/16 or so). If it is just for the street, I would say 30s.

SLJeeper said:
If you are going to wheel it, I would say 29" (I think you have metric size, so maybe a 235/70/16 or so). If it is just for the street, I would say 30s.

i second that. granted you don't want any trimming

I have a 97XJ, which is the same as yours. (Post 96).

I have been running 30x9.5, on my stock vehicle, for the last 100K miles.

It is mainly a road-warrior but I do a little off-road too.

I can't say that I have much more tire rubbing then I did with the 28" tires that came with XJ (never rubs on-road). On my vehicle, the sway bar post that is on the axle jams into the wheel wells worse then the tires do when at full articulation off-road.

I plan on a 2" lift shortly and getting some good sway bar disco's to prevent this problem and to make the disconnect easier.

So- on road should be no problem at all, off road, a little more rubbing possible. 31's will not work without a lift-period.

Hope this helps-

Jeff-97XJ

ran 30x9.5 (measured 28x8.5) for a year on my 98. only rubbed when fully flexed and turned, and even then, what's wrong with a little rubbing...

Jeff-97XJ said:
I have a 97XJ, which is the same as yours. (Post 96).

I have been running 30x9.5, on my stock vehicle, for the last 100K miles.

It is mainly a road-warrior but I do a little off-road too.

I can't say that I have much more tire rubbing then I did with the 28" tires that came with XJ (never rubs on-road). On my vehicle, the sway bar post that is on the axle jams into the wheel wells worse then the tires do when at full articulation off-road.

I plan on a 2" lift shortly and getting some good sway bar disco's to prevent this problem and to make the disconnect easier.

So- on road should be no problem at all, off road, a little more rubbing possible. 31's will not work without a lift-period.

Hope this helps-

Jeff-97XJ
I have a 2000 with 3 inches of lift and Im rubbing on 31s even with trimming.I do however have only 3.75"of BS.

Back