• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Changing tire sizes/speedo calibration

Chux01Cherokee

NAXJA Forum User
HI All!

I will be doing a tire changeover for the upcoming warmer weather. As you all know stock tire size is 225 75R 15. The tires I have picked out only come as small as 235's. My question, is that the tire place told me that it will only set the speedo off about .5 mph. I have heard that the variance is greater than that and I will need to have the speedo recalibrated, not only for the speed but also for the odometer too. My XJ is a daily driver that sees about 35K a yr in highway driving so this is very important that my odo is accurate. Otherwise, I will have to switch to another brand of tire. Thanks to all you fellow Jeepers out there--looking forward to your replies!!

Chuck

It's a proportion, not a constant difference. Whatever the difference is, it'll be twice as great at 60 MPH as it is at 30 MPH.

I made up a spreadsheet on tire sizes based in info I pulled from some tire manufacturers' literature and web sites. Many tire companies include a figure for revolutions per mile in their specs, and that's the most accurate way to judge the effect of a tire change on speedometer and odometer.

A representative 225/75R15 (remember that for any size, different tire makes and models will differ) is rated at 730 revolutions per mile. A representative 235/75R15 is rated at 720 revolutions per mile.

The difference is 10/730, which is 1.37 percent.

The fact is that most speedometers are off by more than that, reading faster than you're actually traveling. With 235/75R15s on your Jeep your speedometer will probably be more accurate than it was before, and possibly right on the mark.

Yes, I agree with Eagle. I my 88 XJ shop manual it has a table showing the speedo gear required by tire size and gear ratio. If you have an automatic transmission then you do not need to change the speedo gear.

I got out my GPS and tried it. My odometer is less than 1% off but the speedo is off my 4.5%. I took out the 33 tooth and installed a 31 tooth gear and my speedo was right on the money but my odometer was reading 100 miles even though 105 or 108 miles had been traveled. I went back to the 33 tooth and just remember at 65-70 mph to add 3 mph to the indicated to get true speed.

Don't sweat it, my odometer was more accurate with LT235/75R15 & a 33 tooth gear than it was with the stock P205/75R15 tires with at 35 tooth speedo gear - the right speedo gear for each tire size.

martin said:
Yes, I agree with Eagle. I my 88 XJ shop manual it has a table showing the speedo gear required by tire size and gear ratio. If you have an automatic transmission then you do not need to change the speedo gear.

I got out my GPS and tried it. My odometer is less than 1% off but the speedo is off my 4.5%. I took out the 33 tooth and installed a 31 tooth gear and my speedo was right on the money but my odometer was reading 100 miles even though 105 or 108 miles had been traveled. I went back to the 33 tooth and just remember at 65-70 mph to add 3 mph to the indicated to get true speed.

Don't sweat it, my odometer was more accurate with LT235/75R15 & a 33 tooth gear than it was with the stock P205/75R15 tires with at 35 tooth speedo gear - the right speedo gear for each tire size.

I recently went from 235's to 31's. Checking my GPS v. my odometer/speedo. My speedo is off about 5mph and my odometer is off by + 8.5%

I don't know how accurate the odometer is, but on both my 95 and my stepson's 93, the speedometer is almost 100% accurate with 235's, according to my GPS. I have about a 4 mph error at highway speeds running 225/70's, or stock 215's.

you can buy new speedo gears from the dealership and intall them easily yourself. im sure if you search you can find a link to DC's tire size and gear ratio chart.

Chux01Cherokee said:
HI All!

I will be doing a tire changeover for the upcoming warmer weather. As you all know stock tire size is 225 75R 15. The tires I have picked out only come as small as 235's. My XJ is a daily driver that sees about 35K a yr in highway driving so this is very important that my odo is accurate.

Now you'll only drive 34K a year... :cool:

I'm running 235/75-15 Pirelli Scorpions, and have noticed no difference in
either the distance to work, or the gas mileage. I did some looking around
beforehand, and I *think* I saw a Wrangler page that showed the P225
and P235 using the same speedo gear.

In short, I'm "within normal limits"... :cool:

And it looks SOO much better...

Den

87xj with aw4, 3.55 gears. I switched to 235x75x15 from stock 215x75x15 and my speedometer said 60mph and the GPS said 65mph. Changed the stock green speedo gear for a yellow one and speedo was within 1mph at 65mph per the GPS.

Back