PDA

View Full Version : I got intimate with a sawzall this weekend...

Willis
March 28th, 2004, 21:04
Thought you guys might like to see why I couldn't go to Tahuya...

http://home.comcast.net/~stevenjwilliams/chop01.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~stevenjwilliams/chop02.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~stevenjwilliams/chop03.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~stevenjwilliams/chop04.jpg

Willis
March 28th, 2004, 21:05
http://home.comcast.net/~stevenjwilliams/chop06.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~stevenjwilliams/chop07.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~stevenjwilliams/chop05.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~stevenjwilliams/chop08.jpg

Willis
March 28th, 2004, 21:06
http://home.comcast.net/~stevenjwilliams/chop09.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~stevenjwilliams/chop10.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~stevenjwilliams/chop11.jpg

Anyone want to finish it for me??? :D

All together, I have about 20 hours into it. It went pretty quick.

TRNDRVR
March 28th, 2004, 21:11
:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

railroadjeep
March 28th, 2004, 21:14
WOW!! Thats looks better then I have ever thought it would. Been thinking about doing something like that myself, but I lack the welding skills to try it.

Either way, that looks totally awesome! Good job.

Chris

shimmy
March 28th, 2004, 21:29
holy shit! that looks awesome! be sure to post more pix when you're done. looks like its coming along great though!

brandon

verrive
March 28th, 2004, 21:31
Wish I had the balls to do something like that to my Jeep :P Or rather having it paid off. Looks good so far. Out of curiousity, what did the back window thingy come from? MJ maybe?

- Kevin

Willis
March 28th, 2004, 22:03
Ya, it's from an MJ. Same thing Goatman and Borton did. I may try the bodywork myself, but I doubt I'll be any good. My girlfriend's dad is a body man and gave me a hand. He said he'd help me with the final bodywork when he gets some other projects done. So, it may be a while till it's complete. I still have a lot of welding to do cause I ran out of gas at 5PM today.

Steve

ladywolf
March 29th, 2004, 03:05
Wow that looks really good! If I had a cherokee that I wasnt still paying on I might try that, I like the looks of the chopped tail end, gives for some outside cargo room too, that way you arent carting all your nasty dirty stuff inside too. Sucks to run out of gas, I've seen that happen to our welding guys. They tend to turn pretty pissy about it.

JJ13
March 29th, 2004, 09:00
Man that is looking good...next time give a brother a call so I can come help you tear up your stuff :clap:

seanR
March 29th, 2004, 15:36
I am going to do that to mine someday! Looks real good. Do a write up on how you did it.

ECKSJAY
March 29th, 2004, 15:45
I am going to do that to mine someday! Looks real good. Do a write up on how you did it.

Not even a 'please?' Holy moly. From the looks of it he took a sawzall and cut off the back. Then he welded on the rear portion of an MJ cab. :wave:

Oh yeah Steve, looks nice. On the write-up note...do you happen to have any pics of the 'bed rails' (bottom of the rear windows) and rear door pillars, and how they looked after cutting?

argalaviz
March 29th, 2004, 20:10
Very nice. Thanks for the pictures.

Rev Den
March 29th, 2004, 20:55

1. Drink
2. Cut
3. Drink
4. Weld
5. Drink
6. Build cage
7. Drink till it looks good.

Rev

ECKSJAY
March 29th, 2004, 21:09
1. Drink
2. Cut
3. Drink
4. Weld
5. Drink
6. Build cage
7. Drink till it looks good.

Rev

8. Paint it pink and gloat.

Willis
March 29th, 2004, 21:18
Oh yeah Steve, looks nice. On the write-up note...do you happen to have any pics of the 'bed rails' (bottom of the rear windows) and rear door pillars, and how they looked after cutting?

I didn't cut the 'B' pillars or window/bedrail. This picture:
http://home.comcast.net/~stevenjwilliams/chop06.jpg
shows the 'B' pillar and window seam/bedrail. The 'B' pillars angle inward, and the sheetmetal from the MJ cab butt right up to the angled part giving a nice area to weld. In this picture:
http://home.comcast.net/~stevenjwilliams/chop05.jpg
you can see the pinch seam the rear side window gaskest mount to and how I cut the cab to fit around them.

I don't plan to do a complete write-up really. I didn't really think this would turn into much 'tech' because so many others have done it. Both Goatman and Borton did pretty complete write-ups and good picture taking. This is pretty much the only pics I have cause I was too busy to take them. I'll keep everyone updated though...

Oh, ya...btw, I am still paying on mine too :shocked:

...Rev has the right idea... :D

ECKSJAY
March 29th, 2004, 22:52
Thanks Steve, I just woke up when I posted...I see what I missed now. ;) Just brainstorming some ideas is all. You should see these sketches I have...hehehe... I gotta get the lower done first before the choppy starts though. :D

Timb
March 29th, 2004, 23:19
Looks good Steve. I like the look of it but it just isnt practical for me. What is the finished product gonna look like? MJ tail gate or open?

Willis
March 30th, 2004, 07:10
It's going to be open. I concidered the tailgate, but there isn't enough room between the back of the cab and where the tailgate would be to put a 35" tire. The tire will actually stick out a bit and overhang the bumper some. For under the cab, I plan to enclose that in with some sort of a fold down door, so I can lay down my back seat, lay down the door, then slide long items (like axles) in through the bed and under the cab. I'd also like to dove-tail the rear, but that seems like a lot more work. I'm trying to come up with some original ideas so it's not like an exact clone of the other chops.

Steve

ladywolf
March 30th, 2004, 09:26
Whatever you do, don't paint it pink, or any other wussy color! Red, blue, green, and black are always good ones, unless you are going custom. BTW in case anyone was wondering, WE ARE ALMOST OUT OF IRAQ!!! Should be gettin ready to head out of here soon, been packing everything up. Boy is it time to get out of here. A year out here is more than anyone should spend. Hope to see yall soon!

Kristen

Shanbo44
March 30th, 2004, 10:10
Sooo... would your sawzall like to get intimate with my Jeep sometime soon?! :loveu:

:gee:

ECKSJAY
March 30th, 2004, 12:21
Whatever you do, don't paint it pink, or any other wussy color! Red, blue, green, and black are always good ones, unless you are going custom. BTW in case anyone was wondering, WE ARE ALMOST OUT OF IRAQ!!! Should be gettin ready to head out of here soon, been packing everything up. Boy is it time to get out of here. A year out here is more than anyone should spend. Hope to see yall soon!

Kristen

Hoo-ah, and here's to a safe and speedy return. All the way.

I smell a party...

cherokeekid
March 30th, 2004, 13:18
Yeah I like the way you slid it under the roof and over the window rails, seems like it would save alot of hassles.

I'm in the same boat as Tim, I need the additional room. But I've always wanted to do one of these, I remember looking at my old XJ about 8 years ago and thinking about doing it. Maybe I'll get a wild hair and build a crew cab MJ instead.

Can't wait to see the midgate. When you get it mostly done why don't you test the bed out by transporting some Rum and a 1/2 rack of pepsi over to my house,...that way I can check it out in person too :viking:

TRNDRVR
March 30th, 2004, 16:11
For under the cab, I plan to enclose that in with some sort of a fold down door, so I can lay down my back seat, lay down the door, then slide long items (like axles) in through the bed and under the cab.
How about having it fold up so it won't be laying there getting smashed/banged/ruined when you lay things in the back? :dunno:

Willis
March 30th, 2004, 18:16

Kristen

We got some 360 Challenge Stradales in with a new color just for that model that is called Scuderia Rossa (or Team Red). It's a red/orange color and looks very cool. I'm thinking it would be nice, but depends on the price, reds are typically more expensive than any other colors.

Congrats on coming home soon!!!

Sooo... would your sawzall like to get intimate with my Jeep sometime soon?!

It's a fun project, but I don't know if I'd do it again. It takes a lot of measurement, cut, then trim, trim, trim till it fits. I must have cut every cut 4 or 5 times. It's taxing to say the least.

Can't wait to see the midgate. When you get it mostly done why don't you test the bed out by transporting some Rum and a 1/2 rack of pepsi over to my house,...that way I can check it out in person too

Sounds like a deal :D But it's going to be some really skunky beer so I can be entertained by watching you try to choke it down :laugh3:

How about having it fold up so it won't be laying there getting smashed/banged/ruined when you lay things in the back?

Not a bad idea Dan. I'll think about that.

Steve

Willis
March 30th, 2004, 18:21
Man that is looking good...next time give a brother a call so I can come help you tear up your stuff :clap:

I will, and you got me thinking: Would you be up to dove-tailing my XJ some weekend? I'd also like to raise my fuel tank up a couple inches too.

Steve

EDIT: By the sounds of it, you have more room than my one car garage. I can come down for the weekend or something.

Timb
March 30th, 2004, 19:02
I will, and you got me thinking: Would you be up to dove-tailing my XJ some weekend? I'd also like to raise my fuel tank up a couple inches too.

Steve

I may sound crazy but Ide like to lend a hand on that project. Let me know.

Willis
March 30th, 2004, 19:51
I may sound crazy but Ide like to lend a hand on that project. Let me know.

We could probably make that work. 3 guys may be too many, but ya never know till ya try. It would all depend on the space we have. 3 guys in a one car garage (like mine) would be too busy (unless you like someone's elbow in your arse while you work cause it's too cramped :D ). We'll have to see.

Judd also lives in Longview. Don't know if that's doable for ya.

Steve

ladywolf
March 31st, 2004, 02:18
Wish I could be there to see you guys hack willis' stuff! <---grease monkey all the way. If it's mechanic and can be taken apart and put back together, i'm all for it. Why rum and pepsi? Rum and dr pepper work really good too (dr pepper and cpt morgan...mmmm...) anyhow. Mebbe we can all get together for a day of wheelin or somethin when I get back from the sandbox. I've definitely got plenty of work to do on my cherokee, whether in germany or back stateside, if i come down on orders. new bumpers, lift kit, YSE, shocks, lots of work, and any help would be the bomb! Any good tips for the lift kit? Thanks guys, for all the support, hope to meet yall soon!

Kristen

JJ13
March 31st, 2004, 04:46

Steve

EDIT: By the sounds of it, you have more room than my one car garage. I can come down for the weekend or something.
I am always down for hacking up someone elses junk...I will be moving in a few weeks and will have a 20 x 30 shop to do it in...one problem though, momma gets new paint and carpet before I can cut a hole in the wall of the shop space and install a garage door. So we can either do it when the weather is nice or as soon as I get a garage door. :wave1:

Willis
March 31st, 2004, 07:01
I am always down for hacking up someone elses junk...I will be moving in a few weeks and will have a 20 x 30 shop to do it in...one problem though, momma gets new paint and carpet before I can cut a hole in the wall of the shop space and install a garage door. So we can either do it when the weather is nice or as soon as I get a garage door. :wave1:

Sounds good! Thanks...

Steve

cherokeekid
March 31st, 2004, 09:20
I may sound crazy, because I am, I am insane in the membrane

yeah :confused1

Pepsi, because Coke is nasty,

don't worry Steve I've been practicing the beer thing, started out with Curs Light :wierd:

ECKSJAY
April 1st, 2004, 03:13
yeah :confused1

Pepsi, because Coke is nasty,

don't worry Steve I've been practicing the beer thing, started out with Curs Light :wierd:

I need a little practice... :D

TRNDRVR
April 1st, 2004, 04:52
started out with Curs Light
:puke:

REDXJ4FUN
April 3rd, 2004, 05:24
Wish I could be there to see you guys hack willis' stuff! <---grease monkey all the way. If it's mechanic and can be taken apart and put back together, i'm all for it. Why rum and pepsi? Rum and dr pepper work really good too (dr pepper and cpt morgan...mmmm...) anyhow. Mebbe we can all get together for a day of wheelin or somethin when I get back from the sandbox. I've definitely got plenty of work to do on my cherokee, whether in germany or back stateside, if i come down on orders. new bumpers, lift kit, YSE, shocks, lots of work, and any help would be the bomb! Any good tips for the lift kit? Thanks guys, for all the support, hope to meet yall soon!

Kristen
ahhhhhhhh Dr p and captin is sweet but have you tried morgan silver with dr p its even better :cheers:

ladywolf
April 4th, 2004, 09:18
ahhhhhhhh Dr p and captin is sweet but have you tried morgan silver with dr p its even better :cheers:

nope i havent tried that yet but i will definitely do so on the first chance back in germany. hope to see yall soon, wish me luck on my soon to be 40 hour convoy all the way back down to kuwait. only thing that really sucks is i'm driving a 5ton bobtail truck w/ a lowboy trailer (can you say slow and bouncy???) i'd much rather ride in a 47 willys w/ no sliders on the seat.

PhatXJ
April 6th, 2004, 01:56
Woa, looks good Steve :thumbup:

erslll
April 6th, 2004, 19:07
:shocked:

Looks very good!

Vid_guyKC
April 15th, 2004, 19:53
We need more pictures as soon as you get a chance. Wow, you rock!!! That looks tight.

CLb33fyXJ
August 8th, 2004, 08:51
yeah looks awesome, nice work! someones gotta try fullsize doors for the rear of an xj, no more midget doors! again nice work :greensmok

smallxj
August 8th, 2004, 14:18
I have the mj window to do it but i dont really know if i want to take the time to do the body work. Wjat are you gonna do to reenforce the uniboady? I have a cage but its not in yet and was thinkin that would help alot

Willis
August 9th, 2004, 18:15
I have the mj window to do it but i dont really know if i want to take the time to do the body work. Wjat are you gonna do to reenforce the uniboady? I have a cage but its not in yet and was thinkin that would help alot

I'm going to end up doing a full interior/exterior cage similar to what Goatman and Beezil both did. I can't believe how much weight the rear hatch and the back glass weigh. I think I'm going lexan rear window in the MJ cab to save even more weight. I'd love to end up close to stock weight when I'm done, but I'll have to see about that.

Steve

One hyper xj
August 16th, 2004, 12:00
hey man you need to bring that baby on by so I can see her in person...
I am also in seattle

swoop
August 16th, 2004, 12:34
that looks great! i was gonna do that with my 2 door till i rolled it... :bawl:
oh well, its parts for the mj now.