• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Running the Rubicon in an XJ

Atl XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, this is just a dream for now, but what would need to to be done to an XJ to make it capable of running the Rubicon trail and comeout without any serious damage. How big of tires, lift, lockers, what protection would be needed, etc.

Could you do it with say 6" of lift, 33s, a rear locker, gears, OBA, rocksliders, and skids? I really want to do this one day and I'm really curious about what it would take.
Thanks

The people who have actually run the Rubicon will probably shoot me for speaking w/o first-hand knowledge, but if DaimlerChrysler could drag a stock KJ through, I'd think 30 or 31 inch tires, a rear locker, and a couple of skid plates should do it just fine. Maybe a set of rock rails if you really want to minimize damage.

I didn't know that they still did that. I'd like to see that stock libby after the beating it must have taken on the trail.

You know, you could drop in on the forum for the Rubicon portion of XJ Fest 2004, and see what the minimum requirements are.

Atl XJ said:
I didn't know that they still did that. I'd like to see that stock libby after the beating it must have taken on the trail.
That's why the switched to calling it "Trail Rated". If it actually could, they wouldn't just say it, they'd show it.

Phil Weeks said:
You know, you could drop in on the forum for the Rubicon portion of XJ Fest 2004, and see what the minimum requirements are.

I never noticed that down there. :doh:

Atl XJ said:

I heard that the engineers did some extensive rock stacking for the KJ to make it through.

Phil Weeks said:

I just looked through both threads in the Events forum and couldn't find a listing of hardware requirements. Is it just too late? Did I just have too long a weekend?

bburge

I haven't run Rubicon yet, but from what I've gathered 31's, skid protection, two limited slips or a locker would get you through Rubicon. Any of the "experts" care to comment? Anyone from the Sierra chapter?

The rig requirements are back at the top on the Rubicon '04 forum.

Last edited:
Eagle said:
The people who have actually run the Rubicon will probably shoot me for speaking w/o first-hand knowledge, but if DaimlerChrysler could drag a stock KJ through, I'd think 30 or 31 inch tires, a rear locker, and a couple of skid plates should do it just fine. Maybe a set of rock rails if you really want to minimize damage.

Rock rails would be very high on my list!
Billy

I bumped the rig requirements in the Rubicon Forum. The basics are 31"s, appropriate gearing, and a locker or two LSs. Tow points should be a given wherever you wheel.

I have not been up there yet, though.

I ran it last year with 32s, a Lockright in the rear (D35 even), and 3.55 gears with a 5 speed. Everything was fine except the tall gearing, that made it more work than I would have liked. However, made it all the way through and drove it back to Idaho afterwards. It's a great trail, a must do! The scenery is incredible. JP

Thanks Phil!

Hey JKTXJ, how'd you end up with 3.55 and a 5 speed? Manual tranny XJ's are usually geared 3.07. did you swap axles from an auto (usually 3.55)?

I ws so glad to drop the 3.07's and move to 4.10's!

bburge

Basically you can run it with any set-up you want. The difference is going to be how many alternates you have to take and how much rocks you have to stack (and/or body damage unless you're very careful). The more built your rig, the easier it will be. Club run minimum requirements are generally meant to keep people moving without to many delays, like stacking rocks, so a big group doesn't take eight hours to go nowhere.

I ran it for three years with 31" all terrains, a rear detroit, and 3.73 gears with a manual trans. With a setup like this, you will need to pick aand choose your lines very carefully, though. You will be low enough that a lot of rocks are going to want to bite your rockers.

Compared to Johnson Valley, or some of the AZ trails, the Rubicon looks like a county road. However, there are a lot of 'optional' :D lines that make for some very interesting times.

CRASH

I run it with 6 inches of lift 33's and an an arb in the back and 4.10's No problems but you definately NEED rocker protection.

Back