• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tow hooks with a grill guard

joecool

NAXJA Forum User
I was looking to go on a Jeep Jamboree this summer, but it says that tow hooks are mandatory. I was wondering how you would install tow hooks with a grill guard? I did a search and didn’t find anything useful. Thanks.
Later,
Joe B.

You need the frame rail reinforcment plates that run down the frame rail and replace stock bumper mounting plate which is very short. The hooks then attach to them, Custom4x4 also makes the same thing only for a set of D ring shackles, rusty also sells them. Another alternative is to put 1. Front receiver, 2. Tomken front bumper with build in receiver, 3. Custom4x4 front bumper with shackle tabs on the bumper and it has the reinforceing plates with it.
For the rear you can put in a 2" receiver hitch, 2. Tomken rear bumper with built in receiver, 3. Custom4x4 rear bumper with shackle mounts. Jeep used to make an L shaped bracket that attached to the rear frame rail, drivers side that you could attach a hook to but that bracket will not fit if you use a receiver hitch so it is one or the other.
The receiver thing works by putting in either a hoook or shackle attached to an insert into the 2" receiver hole.
Get good tires, you can safely put LT235/75R15 BFG AT/KO's on there, that will get you up higher, gas tank skid is also a good idea as is a set of rock sliders.
Kind of a basics list:
Tow points front and rear, 20K 25ft tow strap [with loops NOT hooks], CB radio, gas, rockers and transfer case skids, first aid kit. Others will chime in here with more suggestions so I'll quit for now.

Thanksk for the info. I am looking at Custom 4x4's "XJ tow hook brackets w/hooks and KEEPER recovery strap." I already have a trailer hitch for the rear, kinda old, but it should work if I put a hook or shackle in the reciever. I am currently running those BFGoodrich tires. They're great! As for the plating, I might wait. I dont have the money right now, and I'm not a very serious off-roader yet. Thanks.
Later,
Joe B.

Back