• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coilover / Radius Arm Update

THE_OWL

NAXJA Forum User
finally got the welding thing going. Crossmember in, Axle tabs welded on. ARB in. Brakes and Warn shafts going in tomorrow.
Called up Claytons and talked to him about making a custom crossmember. He was very helpful and sent it out right away with only a small extra charge.
Still need to shorten my James Duff radius arms and build the shock hoops. I wont make Easter in Moab though :(
whaddya think ?
axle1.jpg
axle3.jpg

crossmember.jpg
frame1.jpg

Still need to shorten my James Duff radius arms and build the shock hoops.
no uppers yet. Waiting on the tabs from A&A.
changed from 3/4" tubing to 1" at the last minute so I need new tabs

Great job, very groovy! :clap:

I've noticed some mount the coil-overs in the same position that the factory bumpstop/coil springs were in, while others have the coil-overs in the factory shock position. What are the pros and cons of each position?

I'm assuming if you run it in the factory shock position, you can run bumpstops and the original bumpstop pad. Are there any other issues such as master cylinder, etc. that have to be considered? Very curious. TIA.

I have a D44 out of a F-150. The only position I would be able to run it on is the radius arm shock mount. I dont have coil pads or shock mounts from an XJ. I wanted to run it at an angle that points inwards as it goes up to the engine bay. I dont have the stock engine in there, so I couldnt tell you about any clearance issues with the 4.0l. My only problem will be the Custom airbox for my snorkle setup.The Airbox will actually rest on the top of the shock hoop. These axles arent Full Width. I got the Idea for the "C" mount from the the rock buggies I see on Poison spiders site. I used the tilting inward advice from FullsizeXJ.
Hope that helps

the exhaust is a total hack job. Id have it cut off already but I still need to time the engine.
The Xmember was made to accomodate a 1" heim from the arms, drilled for a larger hole, GM trans mount and a specific drop.
Front axle is about 60" Im going to have to use spacers or small BS on the wheels since I went to 37".
Yes I still have the D44 in the rear. But I did the Full float and 5.5" disc brake setup from Warn. Very stout :D

THE_OWL said:
I have a D44 out of a F-150. The only position I would be able to run it on is the radius arm shock mount. I dont have coil pads or shock mounts from an XJ. I wanted to run it at an angle that points inwards as it goes up to the engine bay. I dont have the stock engine in there, so I couldnt tell you about any clearance issues with the 4.0l. My only problem will be the Custom airbox for my snorkle setup.The Airbox will actually rest on the top of the shock hoop. These axles arent Full Width. I got the Idea for the "C" mount from the the rock buggies I see on Poison spiders site. I used the tilting inward advice from FullsizeXJ.
Hope that helps
Just make sure you don't lean them in too far because as the axle droops the shock will swing inward towards the frame

good point FullsizeXJ. I know I dont have the extra room at the top, so I tried to go as outward as I could on the bottom.
The Axle was totally cleaned with a wire wheel and painted in POR with that raw steel color of theirs. Not as clean as it may look :)

The tabs should be fine on top of the ear, as long as the knuckle doesn't hit them? I hope you welded them including your caster angle, I mucked mine up the first time by not including that in their positioning. It's actually best to hang them from the upper hoops & then position them on the axle, you'll be doing tabs alot, get extras. BTW, I mounted mine in the corner of the axle & ear making 2 little gussets for the ear on each side.

You might also want to consider something beefier than 1" dia tubing? Or maybe I read that wrong. Mine's 1.5" as is Richard's (Fullsizexj).

Forgot to mention that your coil rate will be affected by the angle that the coilover is mounted. You want to be sure to calculate the angle into your rates so you're not preloading the hell out of your coils & thus limiting the coil bind. Check out SwayAway.com for calculators.

Good luck, looking good so far.

-jb

Last edited:
Back