• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer case rattle.

Shifty

NAXJA Forum User
Hi I recently purchased a 2000 Xj and the transfer case seems to have a rattle. The T-case works fine but when in two wheel drive it will rattle. Is there a fix for this? Also what fluid should I put in the T-case. I don't have an owners manual. Also if I were to replace the transmission fluid what would be recommended. My XJ has the trac-lock differential. What fluid is recommended for this? Thanks for all your help.

If you push the lever/shifter down and forward (like if you were going from 4H to 2) does it go away? It may just need adjustment (the shifter linkage).

Need to be more specific.

Drain your fluid and look at it.

The TC takes dex.3 ATF, but dex4 should work fine maybe better. Changing the oil is very easy. You need a large allen wrench to remove the plug. I had a hard time finding ons so large. Use some teflon tape when replacing the plug.

If you break open the case don't forget to put the magnet back in like I did!

Cheers!

Mine rattles at idle in 2 hi. If I pull it back just a hair, it'll stop. I've adjusted the linkage several times, but it's most likely the bushings are bad. There is a TSB out for the bushings.

My Durango's t-case rattled which was a result of a "stretched chain". I think it's an NV242. Even though it engaged 4wd hi/low fine, my mechanic (trusted friend) ended up rebuilding the t-case, gears, chain, etc. He said that the gears were messed up due to the chain problem. It was cheaper than a new t-case, but still expensive. You might want to tear it down to see what's going on with it, if you rely heavily on 4wd. I wish I had just left mine alone until it really broke, since it's the family SUV and don't use 4wd very often on it.

If its just the shifter that rattles, you can go to the dealer and the have a kit to stop it from rattling. Sorry, I can't seem to find the part number for you but they'll know what you want.

Dean

Transfer Case Bushing Repair Kit
Chrysler Part #05014148aa
Tj/xj
Sometimes It Works
Sometimes It Doesnt
Just Push The Transfer Case Lever Ahead Or Back
And Noise Will Go Away For A Day Or Two

Back