• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5 spd to auto swap

magoo117

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I have a 92 XJ,4.0,5 speed,231 and I want to put an automatic in it.What all is involved.I have a AW 4 and a 242 out of a 1988 XJ and an AW4 out of a '95 XJ,which one would be easier to use?Would the wiring be built into the wiring harness for the auto?I know I would need the trans,ECM,flex plate,torque converter,cross member?,drive shafts?what else?

You will need a throttle position sensor. I forgot that the flywheel to crank shaft bolts are too long to hold the flexplate and had to grind mine down. Don't forget a method of providing cooling for the tranny.
The tranny mount to the crossmember is different as well. I had to rehash the custom exhaust because it wanted to go through the tranny pan.

i did this swap, but i didn't use the TCU or any of the sensors for the tranny, I made a control unit so that I do all the shifting manually.

if i were you i would use the '95 tranny because it is 23 spline, so you could swap a D300 later if you want. It also has a .75 overdrive rather than .70, which was better in my scenario.

Back