• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lift question - 35's for under a grand??

rainbowz74

NAXJA Forum User
I recently won an action on ebay for a used 87' cherokee with 310,000 mile on the original engine for $501.32. I want to lift it big enough to clear 35 inch wheels. I plan to buy or bid on the following:

-2 inch budget booster
-3 inch body
-hacker flares or bushewackers

I am pretty sure that this will clear my 35's because a helped a friend put on his 4.5 inch rubicon express and a 1 inch body with minor trimming. I think I can save some money by buying the bigger body lift instead of more suspension.

Think I can keep the cost under a grand?

Thanks for your help,
Farva Rooks

where to begin... where to begin :lecture:

1st: u want 35" tires... not wheels (not such a big mistake)

2nd: u CAN NOT put a body lift on a cherokee, i dunno what you did on your buddies :huh:

doing 35's under a grand is pretty hard to do right. u have to consider gearing ur axles, steering, on top of the fact that the suspension to clear 35's is not gonna be cheap.

also at the height that ur gonna be at... your gonna most likely need an SYE and CV driveshaft.

Brad

Hmmm....sounds like you got a great deal on an xj!

Just to let you know though, they don't make body lifts for the cherokee. It's a unibody design, where you cannot seperate the body and frame (as they are one and the same).

In order to clear 35's, I'm not exactly certain on how much lift you need. I think it's about 5-6 inches, but I'm sure some of the bigger guys here can be more helpful!

Rick

i thought XJ's had a unibody structure? i would just go with suspension lift, cause a BB and BL seem like cheap shortcuts that you'll regret later. think of all the articulation you can get from a 5.5" lift, its way better than a stock suspension.

brandon

ok, this is 6.5" of lift and 35's to give u an idea of clearance. I'm also trimmed quite a bit

Brad

jeep%201-14-03%20001-s.JPG

Picture%20012-s.JPG

are you talking a full size cherokee or a XJ cherokee? if your talking about a fullsize you can do a body lift but XJ's are unibody as everyone stated already.
As for under $1000 I agree with Brad it is gonna be hard I mean to clear 33s It took me
$250 for D44 rear axle
$150 for gear install front and rear
($600 approx.) for new gears I got mine for free :)
$300 for the 5" lift kit.

Total was around $1300 and I pieced together the lift with cheap and used parts. DIG IT!!!

Back