• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cost for gear installation?

Adam Duncan

NAXJA Forum User
Im in the process of getting an 8.5 inch lift and 36" tires for my 91XJ, and I know im going to need to regear it, but im very low on cash. I think im just going to start by regearing only my rear (and just not 4wd it until i get the front regeared) and leave it open as well. I know gears (4.56s probobly) cost about 250, but how much will it cost to get these installed?

-Adam Duncan

No offense, but if you are asking about the cost of installing gears, I'm wondering if this is something you've actually gone through before. If not, then maybe you should start with something a little shorter, like 3" lift and 31"s. BIG difference, I know, but you shouldn't let lift envy push you too far too fast. Have you even put armor on it yet or were you hoping to protect vital parts by being so far above them. You can't walk without first crawling. The journey of a thousand mile begins with the FIRST step. The man with a hole in his pocket feels cocky. Don't look at this with a blind eye. Just my .02

This will be the first lifted 4x4 i have owned, although i have lifted 10+ of my friends. Trust me, I have thought of going smaller, I dont want to, I get 36" TSL's for free, and I just dont want to be that small, if im going to lift it, i really want to lift it. As for armor, I am assuming you are talking about skids and the such, in which I have orderd front and rear bumpers, will be getting diff. skids, and already have a full underbody skid plate.

Adam Duncan said:
This will be the first lifted 4x4 i have owned, although i have lifted 10+ of my friends. Trust me, I have thought of going smaller, I dont want to, I get 36" TSL's for free, and I just dont want to be that small, if im going to lift it, i really want to lift it. As for armor, I am assuming you are talking about skids and the such, in which I have orderd front and rear bumpers, will be getting diff. skids, and already have a full underbody skid plate.

just wait until you get your ducks in a row.

I appreciate everyones here concern with my lifting of the cherokee. Sure, I could go 3 inches and 31's, but that'd wind up costing me near the same amount, so, im not going to do it. I am going with 36s, thats established. Sure, i might have problems, but I'll worry about them when I get there. I am just wondering how much money to budget towards a gear change, minus the cost of the actual ring and pinion.

Adam, I'm not trying to be a smarta$$......

But if you've been involved with 10 other lift projects, you *SHOULD* already know this. Were all of these budget boosts? Or didn't anybody regear with the larger tires?

BTW, 3" and 31s *WILL* cost you a bunch less than 8" and free 36" TSLs.

Fine. Figure $400 per axle.

who's guessing a sye and cv driveline isn't in the budget?

6"-36" is many, many times more expensive than a 3" 31" lift, when done correctly.

chixjeff says 400 bucks and axle.

depending on your locale, the 400 bucks per axle could be labor ALONE.

and then there's the gears, perhaps carrier(s) and install kits....

figure 900.00-1200.00 total both axles, open diffs

I think 900-1200 is a tab bit extreme . . .i reccommend working out some kind of package with your local off road shop. like do a one time thing: lockers and gears together for a package price.

y rnt u putting a spool or a cheap locker in?

Thank you for the answers. No, most of these lifts werent budget boosts, all but 3 were not. Yes, many of my friends have regeared, and yes, I could have asked them, but I havent, so I figured I would ask elsewhere. A SYE and driveshaft are in the plans.

And BTW -

I am paying about 1,400 for the lift and tires total, I would pay about the same for 31s and a lift, so, it is cheaper, and I am getting something I will be happy with, I dont want to settle for less.

Cus they dont make a sppol for a D35.

You didn't say what axles you have but I'm assuming D30 D35. Nobody's touched on the reliability issues related to such big tires on such small axles.

In this case your costs in a couple of months for repairs are gonna dwarf any install charges for the gears. Plus you'll have to pay to have gears resetup when you break your axles and bust your carriers.

I will rarely be wheeling it, my friend has been running 39.5" Boggers on his D35, open, for 2 years now, and he wheels quite freqiently, and has yet to break an axel. I think i'll be okay for a couple of months until I can afford to upgrade to a D44 or 8.8

PC-UT-XJ said:
I think 900-1200 is a tab bit extreme . . .i reccommend working out some kind of package with your local off road shop. like do a one time thing: lockers and gears together for a package price.

y rnt u putting a spool or a cheap locker in?

really?

going rate for r&p jobs around here is 350 bucks an axle

combined with the cost of R&P's, a carrier or two (open) and full bearing/install kit, tax, shipping, etc how can 900-1200 bucks be extreme?

I'm pretty sure I'm on target.

if you guys are getting better prices, you are lucky!

labor rates drove me into DIY mode.

Around here I think its 200 an axle but thats with are club discount. Its not really all that hard to set up gears it just takes a long time to check and adjust shims for a correct pattern and the right tools.

I am getting mine done for $100 an axel and done perfesionally, My buddie does this at his custom street shop and he said that he would hook me up.. I also got my 4.56 gear F&R, install master kits seals etc, pretty much everything for $450 including a new carrier for the D30

Just an update for you guys. After doing some internet research, ive decided to get my ducks in a row. Thanks Guys.

logo.jpg

Welcome to the Home of the National "Get All Your Ducks In A Row" Campaign!

I dont know whether to take this kid for real or not....

If it is going to cost him 1400 for his lift, and "just as much" for 3" and 31s, then I have a lot of thinbgs to sell this guy

Fergie

Back