• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeeps slugish with New motor ?

Jeepster4wd

NAXJA Forum User
my jeep seems to be abit slugish like is bieing draged or slowed down? and im trying to figure out why. Its a new shortblock block with crane 753901 cam. head has had valve job. It starts and idles great no mising back firing or anything. Runs very smoothly. so im not quite sure if its the motor. I did loose quite abit of tranny fluid from Torque Converter when pulling motor but I did put some back into tranny so not sure if that might be a problem or not? finished breakin in cam and have began breaking in the motor about 4 miles on it so far. any ideas? i do have a 3" lift up front havn't got alignment could that possible slow it down or no? still running stock 215's tires thats are aired to 35 psi. any ideas??

thanks

What series of motor, early 87-90,91-95,96-whenever. Low fluid will usually cause the tranny to slip or hestate before engauging. High RPM slow motion driving. Or hesitate then grab.

What tranny fluid did you put in, you sound kind of unsure about some things thats why I'm asking. Also, if you take it up to 30mph and put it in N how far does it coast ??? Does it slow right down and stop like something is dragging ?? or does it seem to 'freewheel' quicker for a couple of seconds like someone released an anchor :D

i put some valvoline ATF in. il have to check the coasting thing. im pretty sure it isnt ebrake or any brakes for that matter.

OK, Havoline ATF, what flavor, these jeep trannies are somewhat particular whether it's dex. merc, etc. Wrong fluid and you be buying a new tranny to go along with that shortblock....

ok im almost sure its tranny now. I was in Drive on a slight up hill and kinda went into nuetral i had to give it abit of gas for it go into gear any ideas?

Not sure but I would drop the tranny pan and take a look see, look for metal filings and such. Then since you drained it put the CORRECT ATF back in, not sure what the AW4 takes as I have not owned an automatic in over 20 years.

RichP said:
Not sure but I would drop the tranny pan and take a look see, look for metal filings and such. Then since you drained it put the CORRECT ATF back in, not sure what the AW4 takes as I have not owned an automatic in over 20 years.

dextron III is the correct fluid for the aw4.

make sure you didn't blow a fuse to the TCU.

Sounds like it's low on fluid. I replaced my rad and used a separate tranny cooler and lost more than I thought. The XJ was doing the same thing you describe and filling it up correctly worked great.

Sarge

yea iv been checking it but thats on my slanted driveway and thats also with 3" lift up front only so its prolly off abit il recheck it tommorrow and make sure the jeep is leveled out.

Back