• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AT KO problem

RichP

NAXJA Forum User
Was just pulling the new warn front bumper off the safari rack and noticed that the drivers side rear tire looks like the bead about 1/2" back from the tire rim, that area that the KO's are supposed to protect, is seperating. It has a long crack about 5 inches long. Is this an issue, seems me to be.

Don´t know what KO´s are but I´ve seen cracks that follow the curve of the sidewall about 1/2 back from the rim before. We call them heat cracks, usually caused by low air pressure, heavy loads and/or high speeds. Rubber gets hot and hard. I´ve used a dull knife blade to check how deep they are, usually only through the coating to the first corded ply. Never had a tire fail there, often ran my tires at triple digets for extended periods, hot enough to boil urine at a tire check stop. If you ever see a bulge, things are past curious to serious.

Oh yea its an issue put your spare on and take the tire back to where you got it, check the otheres as well .Those tires have had issues like that in the past, where di dyou get them, hopefully Americas tire/Discoun t Tire they are preety good about replacing bad tires.

I just examined by KOs and I don't see any cracks, but I only have maybe 10-15000 miles on them and I haven't towed or carried anything heavy with them yet. I bought mine in November 02.

Erik
88 Comanche

Got busy yesterday and will run them back to BJ's where I got them in dec of 02, got full warranty on them.

Rich,

You have done any towing or applying heavy loads to the tires? I'm curious what might be causing the KOs to split I've been maintaining approximately 32 lbs of air pressure in mine.

Erik
88 Comanche

I have 31's and tow a 3200 lb boat. No cracks and bead sits on rim perfectly all around. Especially since you have the warranty, bring it back and get a new one.

I have not done anything special or towed or carried heavy loads. Have not even aired them down. It is also only on that one tire....

Be sure you have proper air pressure in tires before getting to tire store!! As said above, bead cracks(if not deeper than 2/32") could be diagnosed as: Bead flow crack: this happens when the 2 types of rubber pull (bead rubber and sidewall rubber) away from each other in the lower sidewall.
AND: If the sidewall is deflected severely(going thru a pothole), and the rim flange cuts the tire above the bead area.
ALSO:::
If the last 4 digits of the other 3 tire's serial numbers(starts with letters: DOT) are all the same, have them check both sidewalls for cracking in ALL tires. :eyes:
Good luck!!!

Back