• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ won't crank

useless

NAXJA Member # 525
I have been battling electrical problems since the day I owned my jeep but since this week I've been able to fix everything fairly easily.

Earlier this week I picked up a new battery and when I installed it I was not able to get anything other than a clicking noise when turning the ignition. Picked up a new starter knowing it was due anyway and now it won't even click. I get nothing upon turning the ignition.

I have recently replaced the CPS and cleaned all connections so I know that is not the problem. Ideas? Thanks

If you get a clicking (like a chatter) and the starter doesn´t turn over, it´s usually low battery or dirty battery lugs/cables or the ground strap at the dipstick brace.
If the starter clicks, it usually means the ignition switch and the starter relay are OK. The relay just powers up the solenoid, which closes a large set of contacts, which fire the starter motor directly from the battery.
If the solenoid closes (you said your starter was new) the only real thing to interupt the flow is low battery, the connection at the battery, the connection at the starter or a ground.
Have seen some other causes on an old starter, like dirty or hanging brushes for one, internal short for another.
Had one starter that was oil covered from an engine leak, wasn´t grounding well to the bell housing/motor block. Cleaning and tightening the mounting bolts cured the ground problem.
Clean the battery cable lugs inside with a little sand paper and maybe some solvent. Make sure the battery is charged up. New batteries sometimes require a little charging, before use.

8Mud said:
If you get a clicking (like a chatter) and the starter doesn´t turn over, it´s usually low battery or dirty battery lugs/cables or the ground strap at the dipstick brace.
If the starter clicks, it usually means the ignition switch and the starter relay are OK. The relay just powers up the solenoid, which closes a large set of contacts, which fire the starter motor directly from the battery.

Let me make this clear, It does NOT click when I turn the ignition.

All connections are good.

I think you hit it -- starter relay. Or start circuit off the ignition switch. Find the starter relay, test for 12 volts input when the switch is turned to START, and listen for it to click. If you have no voltage, trace the circuit back but suspect the ignition switch. If you get 12 volts but no click, replace the relay.

The starter relay has four bayonet type connectors on the back. the S (SOL) pin should have power with the key turned to start. Believe the I pin is hot when the ignition switch is in the start position, power goes in the I pin out the S pin direct to the starter solenoid. The markings are hard to see, if I remeber right they are the top and bottom pin in the three pin vertical row. The middle pin is the fuel pump resistor bypass and the pin by itself is ground. The large lug is the main power junction for most of the vehicle. Gonna need a volt meter or make yourself a trouble light.

I cleaned the NSS and pulled and re-installed the CPS and now she cranks but cranks very slow... and does not fire. Almost like the battery is dead, or close to it.

I am getting 11.8 volts from the battery. Why would it crank so slow?

Back