• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

IFS instalation question

Yes, it is possible.

CRASH

just curious. What got you wanting to install independant suspension all around?

With proper application of funds, anything is possible. But why?? As a local oak furniture store likes to say in the ads: "That's not natural"

you should just buy a CRV or a RAV4. :twak:

-Scott

peterbucci said:
Is it possible to put four wheel IFS on my XJ or maybe take them from a hummer?

Not to nit pic but would it be a 4 wheel IS (independent suspension) or IFS and IRS but not four wheel IFS as that implies 2 front suspensions?? :D :confused:

One of the main advantages of the Cherokee is that it comes with solid front and rear axles. Most other SUV's on the market have IFS already, so if you're set on IFS check out any of the SUV's that come with it. If you want whatever is best off-road, then in general that would be solid axles. I'll let everybody else explain why the hummer has independent suspension instead of solid axles.

xj92 said:
If you want whatever is best off-road, then in general that would be solid axles.

I disagree strongly with this blanket statement. If you've ever driven a late model Expedition or Explorer equipped with fully independant suspension down a rough, washboard road, you will understand that independant suspension DEFINATELY has advantages over a solid axle design. And this is an OEM setup, imagine a well designed long travel suspension setup like on Toyota's latest Trophy Truck.

A solid axle design has advantages IN CERTAIN SITUATIONS. In other situations, it downright sucks.

CRASH

Driven an Explorer? YUCK :puke: I sold Fords for about a year and I'd never pay a nickle for one. What a pile of junk those things are right off the show room floor.

Sure IFS may ride nice but then why not just buy a Caddy or one of those crappy Escapes, CRV's or that Kia thing? Still want to pretend you have a 4x4? How about buying a KJ? Maybe you could wait for that Treo thing from Jeep if that's too much to handle. In fact, you'd be better off in a CAR. I don't have any cars anymore but I remember them riding quietly and softly...

Trucks are trucks and are supposed to ride like trucks. If you want IFS buy one of those Chevy 2500 trucks like my neighbor has and I'll pull you out just like I do him. Gotta love it when a $1500 15 year old XJ has to rescue a brand spanking new 4" lifted $40k truck.

:moon:

Kejtar said:
Congrats Beez... I just realized that you finally passed me on the number of posts :D :party:

whats more amazing, is that I accomplished that post count without posting stupid crap in everyone else's chapter forum.......

Back