• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spicer u-joint zerk set-ups

xjwoody

NAXJA Forum User
I am about to order some new u-joints (front driveshaft). Can someone tell me if I can use u-joints with a zerk that is mounted on the cross for my front driveshaft. The u-joints I am replacing have needle zerks on the caps. Must I be using these fittings.

The spicers from Louisville Offroad (1310 5-153X) have 5/16" long (from end of threading to tip of zerk) angled (approx. 5*) zerks, according to the gentleman with whom I spoke.

Need help ASAP. We're going Rausch Creek next weekend, and this part of the state (PA) has ZERO 4x4 shops/parts stores.

Thanks, in advance..

By the way; Louisville Offroad has excellent customer service. Way better than AutoBlown.. But that's another thread...

I recently helped a friend change out his u-joints on his front driveshaft with zerks on the cross. We were a bit concerned about clearance issues, so we just swapped out the zerks with flatter "cup type" (for lack of better description) zerks on the cross area.

I have those on my rear driveshaft, and found that they are somewhat of a pain to grease with the recommended rubber tipped end for my grease gun. A needle end tip is worthless. So what I've found to make things easier when I do grease the u-joints, is to remove the cup zerk. I then press the rubber tipped end against the zerk hole, and grease away. When done, just simply reinstall the cup zerk.

Ivan

I have the 5-153X joints and have no problems with them.I use the needle on the grease gun, and have no problem filling them.
Wayne

Back