• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ideas on new Hood? Mine flipped up on me today goin down the road!!!

BLKXJ33

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, with me allready having a shitty day losing my phone missing class and having a four page paper due, I was driving down the road and my hood decides to flip up on me. Man, that scared the shit out of me...all I heard was pow..and saw black..lol. Its pretty bend up in about 5 diff places, and the plastic grill behind it is cracked in like 3-4 places pretty good. But otherwise, everything else is ok.
My question is, should I?

1. Go buy a cowl hood, not the bolt on cowl, but fully molded to hood. And if so, any suggestions.
2. Go with a stock replacement hood, where are the best prices on this...I think this is the way im gonna go since I am selling the jeep soon, and getting an older xj.
3. Screw the new hood idea, beat it with a mallet until it looks ok.

The reason Im asking this is b/c im putting it on the market in about 1 month and I was going to see what you guys thought about selling it with the messed up hood. Do you think the buyer is really going to care if I just say Ill deduct like $400. Or should I just go ahead and repair it...Thx

Two views, one is to find one from a donor vehicle which might be tough, second and this is the one time I would probably go for this, put one of those steel cowl hoods on, helps with the heat problem and just might make the XJ sell faster. Heck, you could even paint the hood flat black and get away with it as a 'custom modification'.... There is a thread on this including a guy who sells them ready to go. You could even paint the plastic piece flat black to match...
Or get a Maaco job done on the plastic and the hood....

Question is, how the heck did it flip up, you got a bum hood latch or something, if so you might want to consider putting hood pins on there...

If you're going to sell it get it fixed right. If it were an older one I'd say screw it, hammer it back into place or use a junkyard hook and drill holes to have bolts sticking up through and hold it down with nuts & washers. But on a 2000 I'd have it fixed right, just like stock. I think that's how it would sell easiest.

Well, apparently the hood wasent closed completely, and the middle latch I found out later was stuck in the open position. If you can understand what Im trying to say--im not good explaining things with words...lol. But I hit a pothole, and BOOM!!

what year of jeep is it I just might have a hood that will work I be more than happy to sell it to you. I'm trying to get rig of some parts. let me know.

Buy a replacement hood and have it painted to match as close as possible. On a 2000 model, your best bet is to sell it to a soccer mom (depending on how many mods you've already made) and soccer moms want their SUV's to be cherry. Don't go with the cowl hood unless you are planning to keep it, even though they look good, they don't look stock, and you'll get your best money if the whole vehicle looks stock. If I were looking to buy it damaged, I would be looking to cut not only the price of a new hood off the top, but also the cost of having it installed, aligned and painted to match. That will be a hell of a lot more than 400 bucks. If it were me, i'd be offering you $2000 off your asking price to compensate for a screwed up hood.
At least look into what it will cost complete.
Buck.

Back