• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transfer case swap?

red92xj

NAXJA Forum User
Will a 242 transfer case from an '88XJ 4.0 AW-4 fit in my '92XJ 4.0 AW-4?

What do I need besides the transfer case and parts from the console?

How about drive shafts, trans mount and spline counts?

Any other hints to make the swap easier?

Thanks.

Lee

A buddy of mine went the other way. 242 to a 231. You will need a longer front driveshaft, the bezel on the shifter and the "adapter that bolts up to the tranny. However, if your axle is a vacuum disconnect, that might present a problem, as the 242 does not have a vacuum attatchement.

BTW, this should have been posted on the Modifications page.

output yoke

Did your 231 come from a YJ? YJ's use a single U-joint on the front DS, not the double cardan style XJ/MJ. Just a thought.....
Jeff

red92xj said:
Will a 242 transfer case from an '88XJ 4.0 AW-4 fit in my '92XJ 4.0 AW-4?

What do I need besides the transfer case and parts from the console?

How about drive shafts, trans mount and spline counts?

Any other hints to make the swap easier?

Thanks.

Lee

The 242 (or a 231) from a 1988 will have a 21 spline input gear and the 92 has a 23 spline input gear...in other words, they won't work.

I swapped a 231 in place of a 242 (from similar years) and everything swapped over easily. The 231 was a vacuum input (for the disco axle and the dashlights) but the 242 is all electrical & no disco, so I just plugged the vacuum ports on the 231.

Woody

How did you get the linkage to work right. I have an 87 that has a 231 put in place of the 242 but it only will go into 4 Hi. is there a linkage change that needs to be made?

I "think" I used the linkage (adjustable rod from case to tranny tunnel) from the 242, but I really can't remember since I was in an agitated state (I originally swapped in another 242 but it blew up on the test drive, so I stole the 231 out of my MJ and threw it up in there in place of the wreckage)

Did you set the linkage up per the FSM?

<edit> Once on the trail, I did have to climb back under it a time or two with the 13mm to "set" it "just right" to get 4-low <edit>

Back