• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Back from the shop

Hobby

NAXJA Forum User
OK guys, just had my 2000 xj (4.0 with 55,000) in the shop for about 2 weeks. I took it in because I had a very distinct tapping noise from the engine in the 1800 to 2500 rpm range. Dealer said it was lifters making the noise. Since it was under warranty, the warranty company sent one of their mechanics to confirm before they started tearing it down. Anyway I just picked it up yesterday and now it is idling rougher than when I took it in. Running hotter, before it would run about 195 and make it up to 210 when not moving, now it runs 210-220 constantly. I know 210 is normal, but the electric fan is coming on quite often now and it is only about 70 degrees here. The kicker is it is still making quite a tapping noise at about 2500 rpm. I argued with them to get a new cam as well since I thought that it should be replaced together with lifters but I lost that argument. They said the cam looked fine and it was just the lifters were a little "spongy." What did they screw up to make the jeep start doing this? Sorry about the length, just looking for some suggestions as to what they did so I can talk to them when I take it back.

Thanks

Back