• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake ? for Chrysler 8.25

JPFREEK

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 98 XJ with stock drum brakes on a Chrysler 8.25 axle. I am having to replace the rear shoes about every 6-10 months and the drums about every 12-18 months and I can't figure out why? :banghead:
Is this normal?

I have heard that you can convert the Ford 8.8 disc brakes to work on the 8.25, but haven't been able to find any good info about it on the net. Anyone done this? If you have, please let me know as I have questions.

Thanks

Something is not right, I went over 190,000 mi on my factory rear brake shoes, just had them repalced back in Dec or Jan. It almost sounds as if your EB is dragging and wearing them out prematurely.
As for the conversion you can use stock jeep parts off a ZJ to do the 8.25 rear. The only PIA part is having to pull the axles to mount the plate to the housing.

Here are a couple
http://geocities.com/dcpaschal/mitch.html

http://www.stu-offroad.com/brakeconv/bc-1.htm

I know there are a few more out there but my bookmarks are messed up from my last reinstall so I have not restored them all yet.

Rich,
Thanks for the info. I'll look into the conversion. I am pretty sure it's not my e-brake. I checked it last time I replaced the shoes. I'll look at it again this weekend.

Thanks again.

I have over 150k miles on my original's (99 XJ). Getting ready to replace, but everything is still OK. Maybe your proportioning valve is jammed or set incorrectly?

I pulled the drums last night and the problem looks like it's the left rear. The right rear still has a good 6-7mm left on the pad, but the left rear the pad has maybe 1mm and there is some pretty good scoring on the drum itself. It almost looks like I had some debris or something in there that messed everything up. The brake seal in the rear drum is leaking a little too so it looks like I'm getting new shoes, drums and the seal.

Thanks for all the help and great info!

Hmmm, I have found it the best practice to replace BOTH brake cylinders every other drum change whether they are leaking or not but I also do new hardware if the stuff thats back there is too rusty. I only like to do things once and not have to go in and repeat a fix over and over but thats just me and my way...
I don't like screwing with brakes and on the rare occasion that I do drums [which I positively hate doing] I use as many new parts as I can. Here in NE PA the winter road salting is very rough on stuff under there especially since they started using that blue pre-spray on bridges and other high freeze areas.

I'll definitly do the new hardware. It's the kits are cheap enough and the none rusty parts are so much easier to work with. I did the right brake cylinder last time I did the brakes so I'll probably just do the one thats leaking and then change them both next time.

I am new to this Board and I will say that this is the most helpful board I have ever visited. You guys are great, I think I'll hang for a while! :)

Back