• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

best place to mount a cd changer

ladywolf

UH-60L Jeep Chick
What is the best place to mount a cd changer in my 99 XJ? I dont want to put it in the back and lose cargo space, so I was thinking under one of my front seats because I still want it somewhat available. Has anyone else mounted one? Thanks guys!

Kristen

Factor mounts them on the passenger side rear wheel well. That is what they put the indent in there for, there was also a cover to "hide" it from sight. Not much room under the front seats, unless it is a small unit. You may be able to manufacture something to put it in the center console, there is more room in there if you take out the plastic "jug". Hope this helps,

Kevin

:listenmus

I have a 6-disc sony cd changer under the driverside front seat. Makes it easily changable while driving...good for those long trips. I tried a 10 disc but it was too big to fit under the seat. Another place I was looking at was under the back seat but the front was more accessible for me.

HTH
Jason

thanks. Did you have any major probs trying to mount it under your drivers seat? Thats prolly where I"m gonna put it, cuz its an alpine 6 disc mp3 player....i thought about my center console but i'm always putting stuff in it.

Kristen

I have an Alpine 6-disc changer mounted under the rear seat behind the driver. It faces forward, and is really easy to access, even while driving. You have to cut through the carpet/panel behind the rear passenger's feet, but it makes for a very slick installation. You don't have to give up any storage space, and it cannot be seen from outside of the Jeep.

ladywolf said:
thanks. Did you have any major probs trying to mount it under your drivers seat? Thats prolly where I"m gonna put it, cuz its an alpine 6 disc mp3 player....i thought about my center console but i'm always putting stuff in it.

Kristen

hey

i don't mean to thread-hyjack....but i was wondering if you may know.....can install a cd-changer (6 disc maybe) with mp3 capability even if my main stereo isnt mp3 compatable?
or do i need to have an mp3 compatable head unit as well?

thanks!

CaptTrev

I would say yes, but only because we bought a MP3 capable Sony stacker that operates through our original Jeep deck on the FM dial (FM modulated I think is the term) The signal is clear as a bell. Here is a web page with our model player... www.caraudioexpert.com/productView3.asp?productID=3760

As for mounting... DONT mount the stacker between the spare tire and the rear seat (if your XJ is so equiped) It will not fit and you will not be able to return the rear seat into the upright position. Ours needs to go back to have the stacker moved because of this little problem.

This is basically how I mounted my 10-disc Blaupunkt changer.

Stacker1.jpg

However, I cut a hole in the back of this recess to just fit the changer, fabbed up one metal "L" bracket for the side nearest the rear hatch and just used the stock mount for the other side. I reinforced the top of the recess (on the back side of the panel) with the plastic that I cut out to make the hole for the changer to add some strength where the mounts bolt to it.

By cutting the hole, you can set the changer WAY back into the panel (there's a ton of dead space back there) and the front of the changer basically sits flush with the panel, making any extra enclosure like this guy made unnecessary. A simple piece of fabric or something similar could be made to cover the opening and it doesn't protrude into the cargo area.

My changer now skips less than my head unit and I didn't lose any cargo space. I was very pleased.

Got mine under the fold up rear seat on the driver side. Just enough room with the changer door pointing towards the rear of the vehicle (slightly inclined matching the floor contour). Nice fit and out of view. Ran the wires along the rocker panel covers and under the front carpet. Its a Sony 10-disc, so there is room. But, mine's a '93. Not sure if your year has the same space. Good luck!

Back