• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wierd click clank noise from the front

92jeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 92 xj on the RE 5.5 kit. I have the droppedpitman arm. Problem is, there is a creeking and popping niose coming from the steering somewhere. It was before that the bolt that snugs up against the pitman arm wasn't tight enough. Did that, but it's still popping and creeking when i turn from left to right, or right to left. I think it's coming from the steering box. Has anyone else experienced this? Any help would be appreciated.
Tylor

I don't know about the track bar, but the bolt that is on the dropped pitman arm keeps coming lose. Lose enough that i can tighten it by hand with a small wrench. I crank till it won't move anymore. But, the noise, i want to say, is coming from the steering box. There aren't any bolts lose right now. So, if anyone else has had anything like this, let me know.

a buddy of mine took a look at it and he thinks i need a steering box brace. He said Currie makes a good one. Anyone have experience with them? Also, my steering shaft is on it's way out. I was wondering if anyone has one they are willing to part with. Please let me know.
Tylor

how loud of a popping noise? i experience this too, but i am at 8" with a dropped arm... i noticed the popping noise after i had an alignment done. sounds like some kind of joint is sloppy

It's a creek as i go right, then pops back when i come back left. It's very noticable. He looked at the steering box and, since i'm on 33's, when i turn, it's pushing the box into the frame, so, he suggests a steering box brace. I am checking into that, if anyone here thinks that might be a aprt of it. He also said that, since the steering box is moving, it's causing the steering shaft to bind, causing the pop, but he isn't sure about the creeking/grinding noise.

I have some noises fromt hat same area. I plan on swapping the intermediate shaft. I am just gonna use one from my local Auto Recycling Center. I will replace the rag joint, though. $25-30 total. Hopefully that will resolve all my goofy steering issues, too.

Whee..!! Look at me..!! I am up here, deiving a Jeep..!!

there aren't any steering issues really, except the noises coming from up front with mine. Has anyone used a steering box brace? Any info is greatly appreciated.

Take a good look at the steering box mounts as well; you may be tearing them loose. There was a TSB about reinforcing that area. As I recall it was good up until the 97 redesign, when the reinforcement was included on assembly.

Try tightening the track bar bracket on the frame side. Mine did the same thing. I have to re-snug them from time to time after running tougher trails.

mine was doing the same thing about 6 months after installing the lift, I just tightened everything that was put on new on the front and it fixed it, that was about 6 months ago and I am hearing it again, going to do the same thing this weekend.

92jeeper said:
I have a 92 xj on the RE 5.5 kit. I have the droppedpitman arm. Problem is, there is a creeking and popping niose coming from the steering somewhere. It was before that the bolt that snugs up against the pitman arm wasn't tight enough. Did that, but it's still popping and creeking when i turn from left to right, or right to left. I think it's coming from the steering box. Has anyone else experienced this? Any help would be appreciated.
Tylor
Something else to look for...the bolt in the "tie rod, drag link, steering arm(not sure what the "proper name is), passenger side, check to see if when you are turning it is making contact with the bolt that holds your steering dampner(I think that's the one, it's snowing outside so I don't want to go check). Mine was bumping against it and making a popping sound.

Back