• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bring back the black...in the trim?

jabrevaya

NAXJA Forum User
Today a co-worker asked me if I knew how to bring back the black in the trim on his XJ and YJ. As you know the black molded plastic starts to turn grey with age. He mentioned a story that using a heat gun will do the trick.
Anyone know the truth to this, or any other solution?

Thanks,

try this from the guys at POR -15 Its a Vinyl Rejuvenator http://www.por15.com/product.asp?productid=83

or if its the fender flares and bumper end caps etc. and not the window trim, you could paint them black. not sure what to do with the window trim ..... i would like a solution to this also my '95 xj could use some "rejuvenation" in that area. By the way i never heard of the heat gun trick before.

Last edited:
When i bought me jeep it had been stored outside in a parking lot in the same spot for a year. It had black plastic on the driver's side but the passenger's was faded to a light grey. I bought a product at Canadian Tire (sorry, no stores in PA) called "WetBlack". The stuff worked like a damn and brought them back to black in no time. It is a greasy liquid that smelled like tranny fluid and soaked into the plastic. In a couple of hours, they were black again. I don't remember who the manufacturer was, but I will check the bottle and PM you with the name (my buddy has the bottle). You might be able to find it on the Canadian Tire website. They ship to the US.
Buck.

I also used WetBlack on all my cars- until an old timer told me a secret when I was 18. black shoe polish...like the Kiwi brand that comes with the spongetip applicator.

I have used it on many of my cars. It would usually last for an entire year (or summer for me in Ohio). SERIOUSLY! :lecture:

It can be somewhat hard to get off areas that you do not want it on- but it does come off. It is easier to wipe off wet than when it dries.

prljeep said:
I also used WetBlack on all my cars- until an old timer told me a secret when I was 18. black shoe polish...like the Kiwi brand that comes with the spongetip applicator.

I have used it on many of my cars. It would usually last for an entire year (or summer for me in Ohio). SERIOUSLY! :lecture:

It can be somewhat hard to get off areas that you do not want it on- but it does come off. It is easier to wipe off wet than when it dries.

I like that hint my friend :roll:

I don't like those restorers, most plastics are manufactured with petroleum base so I tried something that I saw on one of those discovery shows when they were interviewing a detailer in beverly hills. I used some motor oil, plain old Mobil 10w30. Used it on the tires too and it gives them some bling bling shine, only tried it once so far it being winter and all, seems to work, we'll see once it warms up some...

I have heard that peanut butter works...but have never tried it. Apparently the peanut oils soaks into the plastic. I don't need to hear any smooth or chunky jokes either you jackasses.

Thanks guys, you all have been very helpfull.
I'll pass these ideas along.

jabrevaya said:
Today a co-worker asked me if I knew how to bring back the black in the trim on his XJ and YJ. As you know the black molded plastic starts to turn grey with age. He mentioned a story that using a heat gun will do the trick.
Anyone know the truth to this, or any other solution?

Thanks,
I went to Autozone or Automax and bought Bumper Paint. I sprayed it on the trim over the wheel wells. It went on shiny , but after it dried fully it looked like the original color and texture of a brand new fender trim. Try it, I dont think youll be dissappointed.
-Rob

RichP said:
I don't like those restorers, most plastics are manufactured with petroleum base so I tried something that I saw on one of those discovery shows when they were interviewing a detailer in beverly hills. I used some motor oil, plain old Mobil 10w30. Used it on the tires too and it gives them some bling bling shine, only tried it once so far it being winter and all, seems to work, we'll see once it warms up some...

Pick up any dust? :looney:

Urban Redneck said:
I use mineral oil. Seems to do a good job, even on tires to give them the wet look. Lasts pretty good on my trim and tires.

when it rains... doesn't it wash off and leave streaks like some big freakin dog just peed on yer rig? :viking:

Never had a problem with that. I use a tire dressing applicator to put it on, just a thin coat. On the trim I buff it in or out, depending on how you want to say it.

gupandme said:
Pick up any dust? :looney:

Not that I noticed but I don't put alot on and it pretty well soaks in after an hour or to, specially in the hot sun. I also heard the heatgun works too but have not tried it yet.

Back