• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Internal Cage Plus Custom Seats

Nay

NAXJA Forum User
Now that my family has expanded to "bigger than XJ size" and seeing as how I need a roll cage anyway, I am wondering if anybody has ideas about removing the backseat entirely, installing a roll cage, and tying four jumpseats with five point harnesses into the cage. This wouldn't necessarily be for road use, but to allow four kids as passengers in an XJ for offroad trips.

Anybody done this or seen it done?

Thanks,
Nay

The best way to achieve this safely is to mount the seats to cross rails that tie into the C and D pillars. I'm using 1.5" tubing and tube clamps to mount a baby seat and a fullsize bucket in a modular fashion. One or both of these can slide along the rails into any position, and then be locked down with the Allen key bolts that secure the tube clamp. They can also be removed altogether for increased load carrying capacity.

CRASH

When did Matt become Vice-Prez???
You know....I should join.....maybe one vote could have changed things for the better!!! (Who was running against him anyway?) :wave1:

ChuckD said:
Gary should know, his wife is drinking the same water. ;)

Did I tell you guys (particularily you BOTW types that were asking) we are going to have a little girl, geesh I thought I would be clueless enough with a boy, I am really scared now :) God must have lots to teach me :)

Gary E said:
Did I tell you guys (particularily you BOTW types that were asking) we are going to have a little girl, geesh I thought I would be clueless enough with a boy, I am really scared now :) God must have lots to teach me :)

Girls are cool, was at least from 0-5, I doubt I'll be ready for those teen years! :huh: :cry: :loveu: all at the same time!

FarmerMatt said:
Crash + baby seat ? :eek: Is there something you're not telling us?

Matt

It's a long term planning process.

We've got no buns in any ovens.

It may be related to my profligate use of non-chlorinated brake cleaner.

CRASH

CRASH said:
The best way to achieve this safely is to mount the seats to cross rails that tie into the C and D pillars. I'm using 1.5" tubing and tube clamps to mount a baby seat and a fullsize bucket in a modular fashion. One or both of these can slide along the rails into any position, and then be locked down with the Allen key bolts that secure the tube clamp. They can also be removed altogether for increased load carrying capacity.

CRASH

Would like to see details when you get to that point - that was my basic thought to run two sets of rails as mounting points for the seats, but I'd really like to see the tie-ins, especially for the baby seat.

Nay

For the baby seat, I plan on running a flat aluminum plate, mounted to two perpendicular tubes with tube clamps on their ends, between the rails.

The baby seat base will be bolted to the flat aluminum plate.

CRASH

CRASH said:
For the baby seat, I plan on running a flat aluminum plate, mounted to two perpendicular tubes with tube clamps on their ends, between the rails.

The baby seat base will be bolted to the flat aluminum plate.

CRASH

Dude, all you need for a baby seat is a couple zip ties.

When did Matt become Vice-Prez???
You know....I should join.....maybe one vote could have changed things for the better!!! (Who was running against him anyway?)

I've only been VP for the last 1.5 years. Actually new elections are coming up around the cornor so nows the time join up!

Congrats Gary. My wife didn't even want to have girls because she knew how she was when she was young... Good luck.

Thank God Crash. I wasn't ready for the antichrist to be born yet. I started to panic a little with the idea of the end of the world...

Matt

Back