• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

replacement exhaust (Canadian model?)

copperhead

NAXJA Member #984
Hi all,

the original exhaust on my 1987 4.0 has finally bit the dust. It is a Canadian import model and I was told they had different emissions controls. Is this true, or can I use a standard system? Looking at the exhaust, I see no O2 sensor.
The only comparison I have is my wife’s 1996 Sport, which has a catalytic converter about twice that of the 87 and has an O2 sensor.

thanks
Copperhead

I didn’t realize that there was a difference between Canadian and US emissions standards. My ’91 Canadian model has all of the same emissions stuff as the same year US models. An ’87 should have an O2 sensor in the down pipe or possibly in the exhaust manifold. If the down pipe or manifold you get has provisions for an O2 sensor (but yours doesn’t use it) just plug the hole with one of those threaded caps from Home Depot, Lowes, etc. I don’t think that it is possible to “add” an O2 sensor to your existing system. You would have to swap out the ECU and add or modify the wiring harnesses. It would be a lot more time, money and effort than it would be worth.

Back