• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

np231to a np 242

3XJsinPA

NAXJA Forum User
trans finnally went in my 90 xj and i plan on swaping in one out of my 88 larado but i want to also swap in the TC which is a np242 i like the 242 better and am just wondering all other things i will need to change on the swap or advice this is a daily driver (my wifes rig )and only sees mild off road trails

No bites yet, so I'll give it a try. You will need the shift gate and label sheet which identifies the positions (ranges), since it is different from the 231 to 242. Others have reported the linkage is the same, just the t-case and shift gates have different positions. You have a vacuum-disconnect front axle- the 242 does not have the vacuum hardware to do the switching. 242 t cases came without the disconnect axle. Options would be to install a manual shift lock (pull cable deal to lock and unlock the axle) or to fix the shift fork in the locked position with washers behind it to hold it in place....others report success, not for me. I like the disconnect feature and the front drive shaft not turning in 2wd. If you ever want to add a locker or agressive limited-slip to the front axle then the disconnect is a real benefit. There have been issues with getting the full-time/part-time lights in the dash to work properly, I'm not sure what you will find in place in the dash. A factory service manual would help you trace the differences in wiring and vacuum sytsem between the two. 4xBob

i don't see why it would be difficult.. may have d/shaft length issues i think the 242 is a lil longer but that also depends on the rear axle too.. i am not sure about the linkage, may have to swap it over too.. but my big question is the front axle.. to run the 242 you need a NON-DISCONNECT front axle, that is if you want to use the full-time mode......

mike

Back