• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

clutch line

rngrfrd2000

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone ever fab up a hydrolic clutch line. It seems that there is a little plastic clip that holds the original plastic line to the unibody and when it fails that little plastic line may get to close to the exhaust....and melt. Would it be possible to fab up a metal one from brake line?

Mike in NJ did that at NACFest last year, when the plastic line on his XJ melted ... for the second time. However, to make it work he also replaced the clutch master cylinder with a MC from an older year XJ ('88 vintage, I believe ... whatever year had the metal and rubber line rather than the plastic POS).

I’ve been looking into this myself lately. It turns out that you can get an adapter from Advanced Adapters for about $10 a piece, that goes from the funky Jeep roll pin fitting to some kind of standard fitting. If you get one for each end you could get any Hydro shop to make the rest.

Bronco said:
I’ve been looking into this myself lately. It turns out that you can get an adapter from Advanced Adapters for about $10 a piece, that goes from the funky Jeep roll pin fitting to some kind of standard fitting. If you get one for each end you could get any Hydro shop to make the rest.

THAT sounds interesting. Got a part number? If not, where on AA's site do I look for this gem?

I just got done changing the clutch master cylinder on my Jeep. I first looked at a 1991 XJ master cylinder and it was all plastic. When I did my auto to manual coversion on my 1991 XJ, I used parts off my rolled 89 XJ. The master cylinder from the 89 was ALL metal and had a screw in fitting and not the roll pin like the 1991 plastic master cylinder. If you spent the time, you can probally find brake line fittings and hose to run from the master cylinder to the slave cylinder.

The Differences between the 2 parts aside from one being plastic and the other metal, was that the plunger rod that attaches to the clutch petal had a different size hole. The 91 master had a smaller hole and the 89 had a larger hole. If putting a 89 master into a newer XJ, theres going to be some slop between the petal and the plunger because of the larger hole in the plunger.

AARON

hey guys ....i just repaced the entire clutch system... except that crappy plastic line..so i dont really like the idea of replacing the hole thing again with new equipment...but i dont want to go through this again...i stopped and ordered the dealer only line for 80 dallors...ouch..
so i think i need to insullate that line somehow ...any ideas on how i can keep the heat off of that line?
thanks

What year is your jeep? My understanding was that on the newer jeeps with the ALL-plastic line (external Slave) you had to buy the whole Master, Line, and Slave setup together as a unit. With the internal slave setup you can get the line only from Napa. I think it was somthin like $30.

So did it have the mostly metal line with about a 10-inch rubber section? Either way to protect it from heat you want to block the radiant heat from the down tube. One idea I had was to slide a section of heavy hose over it with an ID about twice the size of it and securing it in place with a wire or something so that air can still move through it.

Use some header wrap or the woven tubes used around spark plug boots. The header wrap does an amazing job of insulating.

Back