• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What does your rig weigh?

SeanP

NAXJA Forum User
I just borrowed a friends race scales and weighed my rig in preparation for coilovers in the front.

LF 1365
RF 1255
LR 947
RR 1050

Total 4617. What a pig! This is with my new cage mostly complete, with front seats in, no carpet or rear seats, 1/2 tank of gas. I do know that my wheel/tire combos are 134# each and the D60 is a bit over 500# with the steering.

Any other weights out there?

SeanP

SeanP

Did you notice that you're heavier on opposite corners? Just curoius, because it almost seems like there's a preload built into either the chassis or the suspension. Are you sure the chassis was perfectly level when you installed the cage?

Eagle said:
SeanP

Did you notice that you're heavier on opposite corners? Just curoius, because it almost seems like there's a preload built into either the chassis or the suspension. Are you sure the chassis was perfectly level when you installed the cage?

Yeah, that bias has me puzzled. I even switched the scales from side to side to check the reading and it's accurate. The front makes sense because the diff is on the drivers (left side). The rear is a mystery. I just threw my seats back in side and the passenger side seat is flipped more towards the rear which might explain it. Also, the exhaust runs on the passenger side.

As far as the chassis being level, I did this in my garage which may or may not have a straight slab. I do know that the URF crew wasn't very level at all during the entire cage build. Except for Lazy Gary, our designated Plasma Cutterer. ;)

SeanP

no cage, low profile bumpers, no tire carriers or winch, some tube with shackle mounts. 4.0 aw4 tranny and no transfer case right now.
that is without any doors or hatch, and there is some (well alot ) of sheet metal removed.

Sean don't feel bad mine is a true tank at 5000lbs - 5100lbs depending on gear...

Used to be upwards of 5600lbs - but then I clopped the back off...

4.0l, AW-4, NP242, Ford 9", D30/44 hybrid, steel wheels +38.5"SX, EXO...

weight dist is +900lbs up front - have yet to check the side to side weights

Matt

Paul S said:
3900 lbs with tools, spare front axles, full cage, Atlas, etc...
Paul
so light... is there any sheetmetal left?

Sean don't feel bad mine is a true tank at 5000lbs - 5100lbs depending on gear...
Used to be upwards of 5600lbs - but then I clopped the back off...
500lbs!?!?
Did you really save that much weight after chopping that rear off? :shocked:
I need to get my junk to the scales one of these days.

So I assume you are over 5,000 with you sitting in the driver's seat? :D

CRASH

SeanP said:
I just borrowed a friends race scales and weighed my rig in preparation for coilovers in the front.

LF 1365
RF 1255
LR 947
RR 1050

Total 4617. What a pig! This is with my new cage mostly complete, with front seats in, no carpet or rear seats, 1/2 tank of gas. I do know that my wheel/tire combos are 134# each and the D60 is a bit over 500# with the steering.

Any other weights out there?

SeanP

Dazz said:
500lbs!?!?
Did you really save that much weight after chopping that rear off? :shocked:
I need to get my junk to the scales one of these days.

Yup - I got pretty aggressive with the sawzall and the other half was I sorted through mounds of spare parts, tools and other stuff I used to bring on the trail for myself and the other guys I usually wheel with (they are on their own now!)...

After the 6th or 7th trip of 60+lbs of stuff from the jeep to my spare room - I decided to make a smaller stripped down trail kit :shocked:

I thought I would save even more - especially when I needed a hand lifting the roof and rear exo stuff off - (but I suppose I added a fair bit back)

Matt

Matt said:
Yup - I got pretty aggressive with the sawzall and the other half was I sorted through mounds of spare parts, tools and other stuff I used to bring on the trail for myself and the other guys I usually wheel with (they are on their own now!)...

Matt
:laugh2: That is funny!
I too will only bring along spare parts for myself on the trails. It looks like I will evently headed down that direction by chopping the back off, but will it be before I flip the heep or after.
On the O.T, what are your plans on for XJ now since you're about to complete your project Willy? Did I tell you it a sweet azz rig (Your MB)!

OT: Thanks

As for the XJ - wheel it!!! Now that my short list of stuff is getting near the end I want to spend more time out in the woods and less in the repair mode...

There are a few tight trails around here that the MB just will not fit down so the XJ definitely has a place....

Matt

Loaded down, it's right around........
Aw hell, I can't tell.

is.php

Back