• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

pushrod or cam?

biscuitboy87

NAXJA Forum User
i am confused as to jeeps and pushrod engines...and was there ever a push rod engine in an xj or mj. also, i am not real clear on it but the overhead cams replaced the push rods? thanks for any responses.

biscuitboy87 said:
i am confused as to jeeps and pushrod engines...and was there ever a push rod engine in an xj or mj. also, i am not real clear on it but the overhead cams replaced the push rods? thanks for any responses.

All stock engines in XJs and MJs were pushrod engines. The valves are in the head(s), the cams are in the blocks, and the pushrods connect them.

You may be getting confused with the newest Jeep engines. The 4.7L in the Grand Cherokee is an overhead cam engine, and I believe the new engine in the 2004 Wrangler is overhead cam, but all XJ and MJ engines were pushrod, cam-in-block engines.

All 3 motors that were used in the XJ where all push rod types. Jeep did have an overhead cam straight 6 back in the 60's. It was called the Tornado, 230 cubes, 140 hp, 210 ft/lbs of torque. The 6 we have today is a good ole 12 valve pushrod workhorse.

--Matt

Back