• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

speakers

zero2fearo

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone know the rear speaker size of the top of your head???

Zero,

My 88 XJ took 5-1/4" speakers for the doors and the rear hatch. A good place to see what your XJ needs is crutchfield.com. You don't need to buy from them but they do have good info to tell you what you need.

I hope you have rear speakers because you will have the wires. If you don't have rear speakers then you have alot of work running wires from the radio to the tailgate.

I purchased some foam enclosures for my speakers and they made a big difference. The sound was thrown out into the cabin. The biggest difference was using them on the front doors.

If you do buy aftermarket speakers I recommend you get the adaptors so you don't have to butcher you vehicle harness.

Martin

I have a 2001 XJ and just had an XM radio and speakers installed in mine front and rear. The rear speakers are 6 1/2's and the fronts are 5 1/4's. Hope this helps.

It depends on the speakers themselves. The front and rear could fit either a 5.25 or a 6.5 depending on speaker depth and height. I've heard of each and every combination working depending on which speakers. The only way to know is to get all 5.25's or have the speakers test fitted.

6.5" in the rear and 5.25" in the doors except for Pyle DX series that because of design will fit 6.5". I know, because i went through this. Pyle's 5.25" DX's will NOT fit the doors!! Crazy but true. All this on my '98. Judd

You should have 5.25"s in the rear overhead sound bar. They are easy to replace and unlike the ones in the front doors you can use the new grilles that come with the speakers. I'll just reitterate what everyone else said, watch out for depth. I run JL Audio 5.25's back there and they sound great even with no amp. I am using a different head unit than factory. Also, when you install them you will have to use some new slip on connectors for the spades on the speakers.

Back