• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NV3500 questions

mcconnaughey

NAXJA Forum User
I was wondering if the the 3500 was any longer/wider then the AX15?
Also, in what year did they start in the XJ and TJ?
And finally, does anyone notice any differance between them like shifting feel or strength?
TIA, Alan

Well -
I seem to recall that the AX15 is a direct bolt-in swap for the Pew-Goat BA10/5, and the NV3550 is as well. Therefore, it follows that the AX15 and NV3550 have got to be close enough to make no odds.

Considering I need a new transmission, and I've got to be able to damn near finish the swap in a week-end when I do it, and I've fixated on the NV3550 as the best candidate for the swap. I can't verify my sources at the moment, but I tend to think they are sound. Anyone else care to sound off?

5-90

Watch out........

The initial introduction NV3550's in XJ beginning year 2000 had manufacture innacuracies that caused serious durability problems. These were problems not really repairable...something to do with offset mainshaft alignment problem. Not sure how far into that year's use it would be found, or maybe into the next.

Have also heard the clutch slave cyl arrangement is diff, although that might be incorrect or no big deal. Seems the T/O bearing clutch arm is the same between the two.

Not convinced there is anywhere a sufficient reason to change to the NV3550 from the plentiful and dependable AX-15. Is generally understood the AX-15 will hold up fine behind smalblock V8 power...that says a lot in my book.

Your right about the clutch slave cylinder being different. I've been told that you need the the bellhousing and slave from the NV3550 to make it work. ( The slave cylinder gets mounted externally which I also like) The only reason I'm interested is because Advanced Adapters makes a ready adapter to a D20 transfercase.

Is external on these too-

Being external of the slave is not the issue. They are already on the outside and have been for a few years prior to my '98 with the AX. I still believe the 3550 is still different in that area. Judd

Back